Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

Restoration Series:  Last Light, by Terry Blackstock;  bk. 1 of 4

Global power outage not even watches, cars, or anything modern works anymore.  The entire world must learn to survive without ways of communication even from our nation's capital for weeks to months on end.  Hoarding, stealing and even murder at its worse for man kind. 

Night Light.  bk. 2 of 4   Survival without power, running water or even money.  Farming, bartering and helping others comes the new way of the world.  

I cannot wait to get into book 3 and 4 sometime this week.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Restoration Series:  Last Light, by Terry Blackstock;  bk. 1 of 4

Global power outage not even watches, cars, or anything modern works anymore.  The entire world must learn to survive without ways of communication even from our nation's capital for weeks to months on end.  Hoarding, stealing and even murder at its worse for man kind. 

Night Light.  bk. 2 of 4   Survival without power, running water or even money.  Farming, bartering and helping others comes the new way of the world.  

I cannot wait to get into book 3 and 4 sometime this week.

This sounds really good. It reminds me of a TV show called Revolution from about 10 years ago. The premise was the same with a world wide power failure and it showed what consequently happened in the U.S. I really liked the show but it only lasted a couple of seasons. That often happens with shows I like.

I have never read any Terry Blackstock but I have seen the name mentioned frequently on this thread. I will definitely check out these books. Thanks.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

Terri Blacktock's Restoration series is very good. She is one of my favorite authors. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I highly recommend Lightning Strike, the new book by William Kent Krueger.  This is a pre-quel to the Cork O'Connor series.  Cork's father, Liam, is the sheriff of a northern Minnesota county.  Cork is 12 years old and finds a body that appears to have been a suicide.  The death proves to be a murder and the book is about the complicated investigation into the crime.  As in all the books in this series, there is a Native American aspect to the story that is very interesting. 

I love this series.  This is a good place for a reader to begin since it gives a lot of background to the characters in the rest of the books. 

Valued Contributor

I am reading Mrs. March by Virginia Feito, who is a new author for me. Without giving away too much, the book illustrates how a passing remark can have some surprising effects.

Trusted Contributor

If anyone is interested. I found some of my favorite authors who have books coming out this year. They are;

The Dark Hours-M. Connelly,Harry Bosch book,11/9

The BOOK OF Magic,AHoffman,10/12

The Judges List,J. Grisham,10/19

Better Off Dead,A Jack Reacher story,L. Child,10/26

Mercy Attlee Pine #4,D Baldacci,11/16

The Jealousy Man,Jo Nesbo,10/5

Never,K Follett's,11/9

Southern Man,Penn Cage#7,G. Iles,5/24

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean , we like the same authors.  Mega thanks for the list❤️. LM

Valued Contributor

@Epicurean  Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't know that Jo Nesbo is coming out with a new one. Never tire of his books

Respected Contributor

Finished Rich and Pretty by Rumaan Alam.  Not very often I read a book by a male author writing about women.  He did a good job and I liked it.

Respected Contributor

I read 4 or 5 chapters of Louise Penny's latest, The Madness of Crowds and was so bored I have given it up. The subject matter didn't appeal to me and the main character is becoming too saintly.  I think I'm done with this series.