Esteemed Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2021 LET'S HEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE READING

I just finished A stranger in the mirror by Sidney Sheldoni have not read one of his books in years,he is quite  graphic in his wring, so if your easily offended about sexual content, this is NOT the book for you!  The story line was very good, and the ending priceless, I may have to return to this author again, he is quite the story Teller!

Contributor

I loved the movie Fried Green Tomatoes as a story within a story type of book. Kathy Bates did a great job as a menopausal woman who is having a personal issues and has a wonderful relationship with a woman in a nursing home who tells her of her life during visits. My favorite line is when she gets angry at the grocery store when a young woman takes her parking space on purpose and flips her off.  Bates runs into the young woman's car repeatedly and then tells her " I may not be young and pretty but my car insurance is better than yours!"  Ha

Contributor

I just finished a Harlan Coben entitled " Run away". It was a page turner and I would recommend it. 

Trusted Contributor

I recently read Class Act by Stuart Woods.  This is the newest in the Stone Barrington series.  Stone is back to his extreme playboy ways in this book.  His behavior certainly goes against my moral code in this story.  The plot involves a jealous lover who is out to murder him.  There is a quick trip to England, but mostly it is set in New York City.  It's a quick read, but has little redeeming value.  I'm glad I got it from the library and did not pay money to purchase it. 

Respected Contributor

Icezeus, I've been reading several books at the same time for many years: it's the only way I can feel I've got a grip on my reading.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Abbalulu, the Fried Green Tomatoes book is a delight.

But here's a surprising note: the movie is even better!

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

The Inspector Gamache series of books is going to be made into a tv series.  See below from Louise Penny's FB PAGE...LM

I have exciting news… something you might have heard as rumour, but that I can now confirm.

Three Pines is becoming at TV series! It has started filming here in Quebec and will be broadcast on Amazon (not sure when). The amazing UK production company Left Bank has bought the rights (after many years of negotiations). Their track record for quality productions is second to none, having done The Crown. Wallander. Outlander. And many others.

Now the news you might be waiting for…. who will play Gamache? The answer is this man.

Alfred Molina (Photograph credit: Laurent Guérin / Amazon). An extraordinary actor. With him as Gamache and Left Bank in charge, and shooting near where the books are set, we have every reason to believe it will be wonderful.

@Lilysmom1 

Great news! I am very excited to see the rest of the cast. Hopefully, casting choices won't be disappointing. Sometimes the characters cast in a film version are drastically different from the characters in my imagination. Wonder if all our Three Pines residents will be included.

I just finished The Madness of Crowds last week.

Valued Contributor

I am currently reading The Book of Lost and Found by Lucy Foley. This book is quite different from the other books that I have read by this author.  The others were page turners; this, not so much. I am enjoying the character development and  setting changes in this book, though.

I have also read  The Last Bookshop in London (Madeline Martin) The Disappearing Act (Catherine Steadman) For Your Own Good (Samantha Downing) and The Woman with the Blue Star (Pam Jenoff)

On my list to be read:

The Fall of Princes Robert Goolrick

Surviving Savannah Patti Callahan

A Slow Fire Burning Paula Hawkins

Mrs. March Virginia Feito

Esteemed Contributor

@Bigdoglover wrote:

I just finished a Harlan Coben entitled " Run away". It was a page turner and I would recommend it. 

@Bigdoglover 

I have added this to my TBR list. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sandy53 wrote:

I recently read Class Act by Stuart Woods.  This is the newest in the Stone Barrington series.  Stone is back to his extreme playboy ways in this book.  His behavior certainly goes against my moral code in this story.  The plot involves a jealous lover who is out to murder him.  There is a quick trip to England, but mostly it is set in New York City.  It's a quick read, but has little redeeming value.  I'm glad I got it from the library and did not pay money to purchase it. 

@sandy53 

I rarely read the Stone Barrington books anymore. They were just all the same. He eats at Elaines with Dino, he is sleeping with at least one random woman if not more. He is always in peril. They just became predictable and pretty boring.