Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for Middle Schoolers

7. Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo

Three vastly different girls find friendship and support as they maneuver through the difficulties of adolescence. DiCamilllo’s characters are, as always, unforgettable.

raymienightingale800

Honored Contributor

8. Ghost by Jason Reynolds

Castle Crenshaw (Ghost) is a wicked fast runner. But he’s not only running for sport, he’s running away from his past and the anger he’s got buried inside.
“It makes you care about a kid who keeps messing up over and over and over again.” —Betsy C.

ghost800

Honored Contributor

9. Sticks and Stones by Abby Cooper

A fantastical tale about a girl who has a strange malady—a rare disorder that makes the words other people say about her appear on her body. “This story is poignant and fun and funny, and best of all, it’s about kindness.”—Victoria C. 

sticksandstones800

Honored Contributor

10. The Wild Robot by Peter Brown 

A unique tale by a popular picture book author, The Wild Robot is a story about a robot surviving in the wilderness. “It’s a powerful, but gently told, message about adoptive friends and family.”—Jill P.

wildrobot800

Honored Contributor

11. The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill 

A fantastical story of witches, monsters and magic. “Wow. What a beautiful book and beautiful story. I read this out loud to my kids and they became as engrossed in it as I did.”—Dena B.

girlwhodrankthemoon800

Honored Contributor

12. A Handful of Stars by Cynthia Lord

A sweet story of connection and the disparities of life between two girls from different worlds. Touches on the theme of children of migrant workers. “A Handful of Stars is a heartwarming story of an unlikely friendship and a summer to remember.”—Sarah L.

handfulofstars800

Honored Contributor

13. Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

“Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid.” This is particularly true for the main character of this story who struggles with dyslexia and her sense of self-worth. “Ally and her experiences will resonate with many children and teachers. A beautiful, hopeful story.”—Donna L.

fishinatree800

Honored Contributor

14. Wish by Barbara O’Connor

“How many times can you wish for something before it comes true? A great story of the true meaning of family, friendship, and love. I adored living and learning alongside Charlie as she battled through a difficult time in her life. Will definitely be recommending this one to my students!”—Sarah L.  

wish800

Honored Contributor

15.   The 14th Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm

Ellie has just started middle school and is feeling overwhelmed and lost. Then along comes her 70 year-old grandpa, who has developed a serum to reverse the aging process, and used it on himself, appearing in a 13-year old body. “I drank this book up, goldfish and all. I loved it. Funny, quirky, and beautiful. This would be a perfect read-aloud.” —Liesl S.

14thgoldfish800