Honored Contributor

Recommendations for Middle Schoolers

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for Middle Schoolers

You are doing a real service, lolakimono!

As attached as I am to "vintage" children's lterature, I also love to recommend the Nancy Drew series, the Hardy Boys series, both the Trixie Belden and Ginny Gordon mysteries by the incomparable Julie Campbell, and the endless Cherry Ames books.

A lot of them are still in print, and the ones that aren't are usually plentiful in thrift shops or second-hand online.

Especially great for parents and other interested adults to give to kids if they want to show them timeless values and give them a sense of other eras...

Super Contributor

I have to give a plug here for my cousin - Ali LaVecchia - who writes a series of Young Adult books - they are mysteries and have continuting characters.

Ali is a former English and Drama teacher and VERY talented - the books are fun and engaging and every kid I've given them to loves them.

Honored Contributor

Harlan Coben has written a couple of books starring Mickey Bolitar the nephew of Myron Bolitar - a YA series. There are 3 books as of now. Since I'm a fan of Harlan, I read them, I enjoyed them.

Honored Contributor

1. Half a World Away by Cynthia Kadohata

“Teaches that family is not always about what you’re born into. Takes a difficult look at adopting older children from overseas…the obstacles and the relentless love these moms have for their children. Makes even the toughest kid tear up. Great lessons that are oh-so-subtle.” —Heidi S.   

halfaworldaway800

Honored Contributor

2. The Best Man by Richard Peck

“Three best things: tons of Chicago references since it’s set in a suburb; numerous strong male characters;  Archer is a hilarious narrator. You’ll love it!” —Katie R.

bestman800

Honored Contributor

3. The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

This is the first book in a series that tells the story of a young Afghan girl, Parvana, and the tragedies she and her family endure in a time of war. “Absolutely amazing!” —Corrine R.

breadwinner800

Honored Contributor

4. Pax by Sara Pennypacker

A story of friendship told from the alternating viewpoints of a boy and his pet fox. “Oh my. This story broke my heart and then healed it too. A beautiful beautiful story.” —Katie R.

pax800

Honored Contributor

5. The Secret Keepers by Trenton Lee Stewart

11 year-old Reuben discovers an ornate box containing a beautiful antique watch. As he seeks to learn the origin and importance of the watch, Reuben discovers its power and the evil it can perpetuate. “Wonderful! The more I read the more I could not put this book down. As a librarian, I am always looking for books in just like this one.”—Sandy L.

secretkeepers800

Honored Contributor

6. Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk 

A poignant story of conflict, compassion, and personal accountability set in the post-world wars era.  “Wolf Hollow is the kind of book where, with about 20 pages left to read, you start hoping there’s a sequel because you don’t want it to end.” —Susan B.

wolfhollow800