Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation for suspense/thriller lovers:

My violence threshold is kind of low, but I have read books by this author.
Respected Contributor

@texassunflower 

Texassunflower,

I read quite a bit and I have read every author you just mentioned.  Good choices!  I second texassunflowers's list, so choose one her selections if you want a good read!

Esteemed Contributor

@joannecha , you will be missing a great storyteller if you don’t include Stephen King.  Not his horror stories but his other ones.  The one that comes to mind most recently is The Outsider.  Also Duma Key, the Mr. Mercedes trilogy.

He is one of the best storytellers I have read.  Great character development.  I only discovered his non horror books a couple of years ago.  I now covet them waiting impatiently for his next.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@joannecha , you will be missing a great storyteller if you don’t include Stephen King.  Not his horror stories but his other ones.  The one that comes to mind most recently is The Outsider.  Also Duma Key, the Mr. Mercedes trilogy.

He is one of the best storytellers I have read.  Great character development.  I only discovered his non horror books a couple of years ago.  I now covet them waiting impatiently for his next.  LM

@Lilysmom  I enjoy that you are championing the cause of Stephen King as he is one of my favorite storytellers. I am excited to read his newest one just out last week-The Institute. He is one of the few authors who normally grab me right from the first page. I've read most of his from the very start but somehow must have missed Duma Key-thanks for the recommendation on that. You might like (I think the name is) Doctor Sleep. It's about the little boy from The Shining and it's more supernatural than horror.

Anyway, I'm glad to know another King fan.

On a side note I always love your garden photos and your quilts. You have an amazing talent. Your grounds look like a park.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

@abbalulu , thanks for your reply.  Yes, such a Stephen King fan.  Who knew his non horror books were so good?  My first read was the Mr Mercedes trilogy which I loved.  I have The Institute on request from the library.  Can’t wait to read it.

We got hit hard by Dorian.  We are in the midst of repair.  DH had damage to all of his apple trees, most of which are honeycrisp. We have been staking affected shrubs.

you are going to love Duma Key!  LM

Trusted Contributor

@LilysmomSo sorry to hear about the damage from Dorian to your beautiful property. I hope there will be no more storms coming your way. I saw the pictures of your snow storm too on another thread. That was something else-and I am in the upper Midwest so I have seen blizzards but I don't ever think I've seen snow that tall.

But, back to books-now I am looking forward to both The Institute and Duma Key and we get double the pleasure as my husband reads them too as he also likes King.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

@joannecha , I want to thank you for recommending this author.  I just finished the first book in the Will Trent series and really liked it.  Have more to pick up from the library today.  Thank you!

Contributor

This and I can’t stop thinking about it : 😱 

Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

Respected Contributor

I'll add one suggestion.  I just finished reading a book by Gilly Macmillan (a new author for me) and the title is The Nanny. It was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to after I put it down for one reason or the other.

Honored Contributor

Full Dark,No Stars by S. King

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man