Trusted Contributor

Reading outside your comfort zone. . .

Our local library is currently running their annual adult winter reading program. This year, it is set up as a bingo card, with each space on the card as a different genre. Read a book for each square, you are eligible for weekly prizes. Bingos make you eligible for the grand prize. This forces me to read genres that I usually stay away from. Just finished 2 books this past week that I loved and thought that I would share on here. The first is Kimberly Belle’s suspense/ thriller called “Three Days Missing” and the second which is the one that was out of my comfort zone (young adult) was “Far From the Tree” by Robin Benway. Loved them both. Check out plot synopsis on Goodreads or other sites, but remember to break out of your shell every so often. You may end up loving what you find.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Reading outside your comfort zone. . .

@joannecha

I’m always looking for a good book to read. I just downloaded “Three Days Missing” for my Kindle. Thanks for the info.

Esteemed Contributor

I promised myself this year that I would try to read a handful of books that are not my usual genre. I currently have 10 books home from the library (thank goodness for renewals) and only one of them would I consider out of my normal comfort/enjoyable zone. It's called Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty. We shall see.

Esteemed Contributor

Husband and I are listening to audio books in the car and when we're doing tasks around the house. We go to neutral territory but have learned to enjoy C. J. Box (initially too rugged for me) and I truly enjoy MIchael Connelly. Recently learned about his TV show on Prime with character, Bosch. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I just go down a row in the stacks where I have never been and pick a book that looks good.  Some goods finds and surprises.

Super Contributor

I just finished a book that, although related to my usual genres was different. The book is House Rules by Jodi Picoult. The main character is Jacob, an 18 yr, old boy who has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and stands accused of murder.

While I expected a “who done it” or typical solve the murder story, this was more a story about Jacob, his diagnosis, and the legal/justice system. I did not expect to enjoy the book as much as I did. 

Hugs . . . Beth 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake

Excellent show. The new season will be starting soon. I normally wait until it's completed and then binge watch all of the shows.

Esteemed Contributor

I try to change it up and be versatile with my reading.   I do mostly enjoy true stories but will go back to a fiction love story or mystery once inawhile.   The most recent non fiction  I read was Marie Tillman's "The Letter".  The story of Pat Tillman, the NFL player who rejoined the military after 9/11 and was killed.   She does a beautiful job telling his life story and the story of  their lives together.  Very heartwarming book.   

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I promised myself this year that I would try to read a handful of books that are not my usual genre. I currently have 10 books home from the library (thank goodness for renewals) and only one of them would I consider out of my normal comfort/enjoyable zone. It's called Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty. We shall see.

I love that book!  Not Liane Moriarty's best ("The Husband's Secret" is usually cited as her best) but her first, I wandered into it before she hit the bigtime and I adore that book so good, bad or indifferent, love to know what you think of it @icezeus.

Honored Contributor

Great topic, @joannecha.  And I love your library!  I'm curious what the categories are, but maybe too many to post?  I try to read different genres but not all.  I'd like to see how I do!