Honored Contributor

Reading a good book - Upstairs at the White House

Written by a retired usher at the White House. Very easy and interesting read. He started just before WW11 started in 1941. I am only up to the Truman years so far but really enjoying learning about the first families from this unique POV. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Reading a good book - Upstairs at the White House

@151949 wrote:

Written by a retired usher at the White House. Very easy and interesting read. He started just before WW11 started in 1941. I am only up to the Truman years so far but really enjoying learning about the first families from this unique POV. 

You would also enjoy "The White House Chandeliers:   My Experience While Working for 7 US Presidents"    

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you like it! Interesting, huh? I read that a long time ago. All I remember, though, is Bess Truman not liking footprints on the carpet. Everytime I vacuum, I always tell my husband not to make footprints. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Was that published decades ago?  I'm sure I read it and enjoyed it.  Not too long ago, I read a book that was supposedly written by a WH chef.  I believe he was found to be a fraud, or greatly embellished his role there.  Anyway, some of his claims were outrageous, like mentioning preventing intestinal gas at state dinners.  I was laughing out loud because I knew the publishers had been duped.

Valued Contributor

I remember reading that book,really enjoyed it, gave you a real sense what it was like back then.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Was that published decades ago?  I'm sure I read it and enjoyed it.  Not too long ago, I read a book that was supposedly written by a WH chef.  I believe he was found to be a fraud, or greatly embellished his role there.  Anyway, some of his claims were outrageous, like mentioning preventing intestinal gas at state dinners.  I was laughing out loud because I knew the publishers had been duped.

OMG, that book was hilarious. The author said George B. was smoking marijuana and having an affair with Condoleeza Rice. The author was a fraud, but I still can't figure out  how he got the book published. in the first place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read that ages ago. It's a really good book.  On 2nd thought, I think it was "Backstairs at the White House". JB West. He told a lot about JFK & JBK. 

Respected Contributor

@151949  I have read this and enjoyed it.  Have read a number of other books by former White House staff.  Very interesting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's an old book. I remember reading it and I have it in my library. You've just reminded me to pull it out and read it again!  The chief ushers at the White House, like the rest of the domestic staff, are d voted, professional and non-political and work for one administration after the other. I really respect them after reading a number of books and articles on the topic. It's so sad that the current Chief Usher was fired this week simply because she worked for the previous administration. That's not usually how it goes. The book you're talking about was written by a Chuef Usher who worked for several administrations, which is the norm

Honored Contributor

Hillary Clinton fired White House Usher Chris Emery in 1994.  The White House at that time was uncomfortable with the fact that Mr. Emery had been communicating with former First Lady Barbara Bush, helping her with a computer glitch.

It's impossible to know in these days of tight-lipped workplace personnel matters what contributed to the current Chief Usher's being let go.  The Daily Mail is reporting that she let it be known that she is a "die-hard" Hillary Clinton supporter.  The White House is saying that they have parted on good terms and they wish her well.  I would suspect we won't know the full story since so far, the parties are remaining discreet.