Honored Contributor

Do you ever read a book a second or third time / or want to read it again? 

Last year, I read Doran's  "Toward the Gleam" and its sequel "The Lucifer Ego"  twice!  It was so good the first time - I had to read it again. They were both just as good re-reading as the first time.

This morning I read an essay by Joseph Pearce - about Robert Hugh Benson.  I read Benson's "Lord of the World" several years ago, and after reading the essay this morning - moved the Kindle copy up in my library and started reading it again. 

I also down loaded a bunch of books that I read pre-kindle days - my summer reading! 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have. I've read "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards" by Lillian Jackson Braun many times. I just never get tired of all her wonderful descriptions of the cats and the gourmet chef-all of it.

I've also read many of her other books several times.

Somehow its comforting to read a favorite book or movie over again.

Plus since covd and then our great library was closed for rennovations and stopped carrying used books, my best source was gone so I just kept reading my favorites. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Valide: A Novel of the Harem Barbara Chase-Riboud

Recreated from historical facts, this novel tells the story of a young French-American girl sold into the harem of Abdulhamid, who becomes Valide, Empress of the Ottoman Empire.

I've must have re-read this hardback over a hundred times.  I purchased the book in the 80's.  The pages are now very fragil from me reading it through the years.  It is so intriguing I can read the whole book in 48 hours as it's based on a true story.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yes I do and I call it comfort reading. Sometimes a familiar story is better than a pill, drink or cookie. If I'm going through a difficult time , I curl up with a favorite book on my kindle and I'm transported to a better place. It works every time..

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Definitely.  I recently re-read To Kill A Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.  Both better than I remembered when I read them in high school.   I tried to re-read Jane Eyre and couldn't get into it.  

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50,

When I was young "A Wrinkle in Time" was one of my favorite books.

I tried to re-read it as an adult and thought how did I think this was my favorite? It made me kind of sad, though I"m glad it gave me such good memories way back then.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Read it again?

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@kaydee50,

When I was young "A Wrinkle in Time" was one of my favorite books.

I tried to re-read it as an adult and thought how did I think this was my favorite? It made me kind of sad, though I"m glad it gave me such good memories way back then.

Yes, I remember that book as being one of my favorites.  That's how I felt about Jane Eyre.  When I read it the first time, I thought it was great.  Yes, kind of sad but life moves on.    

Esteemed Contributor

One book I've read several times is Steinbeck's "East of Eden." Love John Steinbeck's writing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Have read "To Kill a Mockingbird" many times. Never tire of it.

Honored Contributor

I tend to read Frederick Forsythe's "The Day of the Jackal" every year or so. It's a really good book. My hardcover version is a bit of a mess now after many readings so I should invest in the Kindle version of it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!