Honored Contributor

It's been about 30 years since I last read anything by Ayn Rand.

After reading "The Last Librarian" by Brandt Legg, on an impulse, I downloaded Rand's "Anthem."   There is a similar "theme"  in both books.

I'm reading Anthem from a different point of view now.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

After reading "The Last Librarian" by Brandt Legg, on an impulse, I downloaded Rand's "Anthem."   There is a similar "theme"  in both books.

@ALRATIBA 

That is inspiring. Read Atlas Shrugged & Fountainhead years ago, may consider reading those now. Would be interesting to see the difference of interpretation from then to now. 

Only classic I've reread periodically is Madame Bovary would love to read that again.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA   I finished Atlas Shrugged two weeks ago for the third time and discover something new each time.  I also listened to it on audio books when I was doing a lot of business travel.

I haven't read Anthem in years but it's on my iPad so going to read it again.  Thanks for jogging my memory.

Honored Contributor

It was bad enough the first time for me. . . Woman Frustrated  I had to read a couple for college.

Respected Contributor

I loved Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead when I read them many years ago.  Think I was in my late 20's.  I have thought about Atlas Shrugged many times.  I think now would be a great time to re-read it  Will do that soon when my mood improves.

Respected Contributor

I read Atlas Shrugged back in the 70s. I loved it. I felt it was so relevant then: deterioration. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's a great idea to re-read classics years after first reading them.  Will get The Fountainhead from the library.  Loved my first reading of it.  

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

That is inspiring. Read Atlas Shrugged & Fountainhead years ago, may consider reading those now. Would be interesting to see the difference of interpretation from then to now. 

Do you mean you actually were able to get through "Atlas Shrugged"? I've tried for years but after a while it's just too much.

Did you ever see the movie that was made of The Fountainhead years ago, with Patricia Neal and Gary Cooper? The movie may seem stiff and stilted but that's exactly the way it was written. Pretty dated by today's standards.

Frequent Contributor

The Fountainhead is my favorite book of all time.  First read it when I was a sophmore in high school and then in my thirties, I believe and now I am in my seventies and read it for the third time about 2 years ago.  Never agreed with Ayn Rand's politics but the book is great.  But, I was never able to get through Atlas Shrugged.