Respected Contributor

I have to admit I've never read her books but I did find an interesting fact about her.  She lived with the actress/author Fannie Flagg for 8 years but they broke up.

Honored Contributor

Re: RITA MAE BROWN - AUTHOR

[ Edited ]

@SWEET wrote:

I have to admit I've never read her books but I did find an interesting fact about her.  She lived with the actress/author Fannie Flagg for 8 years but they broke up.

I've read a couple of her books.  They usually feature a cat among the human sleuthes.  Pretty good books.  I liked them. She's a major cat fan and LGBT activist.   Her pictures always feature her with her cat. Very prolific writer.  She easily has over 50 books out.  One series is Mrs. Murphy.  Along with her name as author, she also lists co writer.  Her cat Sneaky Pie

Honored Contributor

Fannie Flagg has written some great books that capture southern life. She narrates her audio books. Did not know about her personal life.

Trusted Contributor

I loved her first bok Rubyfruit Jungle, but then she went off the rails.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I've read a lot of books by both women and had no idea they were ever together. Thanks for that bit of trivia. I only knew Brown had lived with Martina Navratilova for a while. It looks like that was before she and Flagg were together.

I like Rita Mae Brown's books. The Mrs. Murphy mysteries are cute cozy mysteries, as are the Sister Jane books. The first book I read by her was Venus Envy and I loved most of it, but the ending was kind of a letdown, especially given how good the rest of it was.

I love Fannie Flagg, too. I really enjoyed The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion and have read a lot more about the WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots) program since then.

Valued Contributor

Six of One was my favorite of her books.