Honored Contributor

Re: READING ANY GOOD BOOKS IN MARCH? WE'D LOVE TO HEAR!

@teganslaw wrote:

Just finished "The Housekeeper" by Natalie Barelli. Good book, but what a bunch of dysfunctional people. None of them had redeeming qualities. The ending was a surprise; would recommend this book. 

@teganslaw I just read this last week, and I agree with you! It was a decent book, and yes the ending was a surprise!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover    and all who enjoy the Timber Creek series,

Margaret Mizushima emailed me to say her newest is Striking Distance. Sounds good. Coming in September (well, it's better than November, lol).

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.  What a wonderful book.  Cleopatra was quite a woman,leader,warrior.  This is non-fiction. Nothing like all the BS that has been thrown at her.  The times she lived in were fascinating.  She had children with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony.  She called up armies...I could go on and on.  If you're at all interested in ancient Egyptian history,even world history read this. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Wedding Of The Century by Patricia McLinn, this was an enjoyable read, and a sweet 7 year old girl that would warm everyones heart, and a beast of a woman who thinks her you know what does not stink ( my motherinlaw), but also a sweet love story rekindling after 7 years apart after  a person interferes in their relationship!

Trusted Contributor

My latest reads are:

THE BOOK OF LOST NAMES by Kristin Harmel -very good Holocaust-era novel

DARK HIGHWAY by Lisa Gray -book #3 in her Jessica Shaw mystery series.  The heroine of this series always reminds me of a modern-day Kinsey Milhone, from the Sue Grafton books.  I think if you like those books, you'll like this series too.

Next up is the new Donna Leon mystery book, TRANSIENT DESIRES.  This is her 30th book in this series, set in Venice.  I always enjoy her books.

Trusted Contributor

I read It's Raining Men by Rich Amooi which was a cute story about a widowed young woman who throws a coin into a fountain and all of a sudden men start coming out of the woodwork to ask her on dates.

I also read Stephen King's latest titled Later. It was good but much shorter then his usual offerings. I always enjoy a Stephen King novel and look forward to a new one.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness for the reviews on this forum now I am reading due to finding this new author's work She Was The Quiet One, by Michele Campbell.  I had to stop reading this morning with only 20 pages to go!!  I was already running 30 minutes late for work trying to get the big final but it will be a bang for me this afternoon instead.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Thank goodness for the reviews on this forum now I am reading due to finding this new author's work She Was The Quiet One, by Michele Campbell.  I had to stop reading this morning with only 20 pages to go!!  I was already running 30 minutes late for work trying to get the big final but it will be a bang for me this afternoon instead.

@beckyb1012 Love her books, and this one was rally good as well!

Esteemed Contributor

DEAD CERTAIN by Adam Mitzner.  Good book about two sisters, Ella a lawyer and Charlotte a writer.  Charlotte announces that her first book is about to be published and Ella is thrilled for her, and then she gets the call that Charlotte is missing.  Much of the book is based on the written words of Charlotte in her first novel, which is what Ella uses to investigate on her own.

While the book is very good, if you are offended by profanity, it is not the book for you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

If you want a fun book to read, read Katherine Heiny's Early Morning Riser.  It was a dramatic part from the Joyce Maynard book which I read before this one.  I laughed at every page, and the characters were so fun to be with.