Respected Contributor

Re: READING ANY GOOD BOOKS IN MARCH? WE'D LOVE TO HEAR!

This week I finished reading Always The Last to Know by Kristan Higgins.  The Frosts are a typical American family.  Barb and John have been married almost 50 years and are bored with each other.  They have 2 daughters born 12 years apart.  Juliet is the oldest and Barb's favorite.  Sadie is John's favorite.  The girls couldn't be more different.  When John suffers a stroke, their house of cards comes tumbling down.  This was a very good book and I recommend it.  

Esteemed Contributor

WINTER'S CHILL (LARRY MACKLIN MYSTERIES BOOK 16) by A. E. Howe.  Great series.  In this book, Criminal Investigator Larry Macklin faces the worst moment of his life when his father, Sheriff Ted Macklin, is attacked and left for dead by the side of the road.  Additionally, there have been a string of very expensive autos stolen, several murders, and an unusual ice storm in Florida.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I am a member of Book Browse.  Every now and then, I get the opportunity to read a book before it comes out and review it on line.

I've read some I've really enjoyed.  Unfortunately that is not the case with the current book.  It as taken me about 2 weeks to read 160 pages, and I am now skipping paragraphs just to move on.  I thought I would really like it as it's about a Greek island I visited several years ago and absolutely loved.  This book literally puts me to sleep each night!  

It's not holding my interest and I really don't like the characters; they are too whiney for me.  I haven't looked at the site to see any other reviews.

Sitting on my nightstand is The Midnight Library, which I really want to read.  But I have to finish this other book first!Woman Mad

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Darkest Evening by Ann Cleeves, this was very good complicated murder mystery with a long list of suspects!

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 

Please tell us:  What is the name of the book you are struggling to finish?  Who is the author?  It might be a good one for me to pass up. 

Trusted Contributor

last night I started Lisa Scottolines newest ETERNAL Ittakes place in Italy in 1937,just before the war. About three young friends,one who is Jewish. I already like these young characters.

Respected Contributor

Just finished Sweet Jane by Joanne Kukanza Easley.  A good read but a little bogged down by  Bible teachings and sayings to my liking.  Nothing against it but JMO.

Respected Contributor

I read Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz.  It's the first in a series about a former black-ops assassin who went off the grid and now uses his skills to help people.  It's non stop action and a lot of high tech gadgets, but the engrossing plot also has warmth and humor.  I really enjoyed it.  Good escapist fare.  There are 5 other books in the series so far. 

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian,

The name of the book is A Theater for Dreamers by Polly Samson.  The story is about a group of bohemain artists and writers on the Greek island of Hydra.  Takes place in 1960.  It is narrated by Erica, an 18 year old dealing with the untimely loss of her mom, who leaves her money and a car to "dare to dream".  Sounds cool, right??  I visited Hydra while in Greece a few years ago and fell in love with it.  So this book had to be perfect!

It was way over my head.  I just did not get it.  Meanwhile I read the reviews on Amazon and people loved it.  And I felt horrible leaving a bad review.  I put it more on me rather than the book.

If you end up reading it, I'll be curious to see what you think.

It comes out May 11.

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 

Thank you for the description of the story.  Over the years, that has happened to me a few times too; people rave about a book and I disagree-I just shrug my shoulders and say "Really?"  It's good we have such a wide selection of titles and authors to choose from. There's something for everyone.  That's one of the things I love about reading.