Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Louise Penney book

@dawg lover wrote:

For the Louise Penny fans out there, I just finished her latest one, "A BETTER MAN," and I thought it was one of the best books she has ever written.

I just finished it too and really liked it.  

I agree that they should be read in order.  I love the characters.  They make me laugh and make me cry.  

I think my favorite was "How the Light Gets In".  

Valued Contributor

Louise Penny has been one of my favorite writers in the last few years. Her last two or three, including A Better Man have not been nearly as good as the earlier ones. Re-hashing the same storylines, losing the depth of many favorite characters - she has done this for the last few books. The out-to-get Gamache plots are becoming unbelievable and bizarre. A Better Man’s Clara arc was just plain whacky. And Louise’s politics are being written in her books.

All this makes me sad as I have loved Gamache books for so long. Kind of reminds me of what Patricia Cornwell did to destroy her Scarpetta series. After book 9 or 10, it went way downhill. I really hope Louise Penny will turn her beloved characters around.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve read all of Louise Penny’s books in order. It would definitely be best to read them that way but she is such a good writer that reading them without any order would still be very enjoyable.