Valued Contributor

Question about Louise Penney book

I haven’t read any of her books but recently bought one at a book sale. I noticed, when reading about her online, that her books are about a police inspector. Is it best to read these in order of being written, or are the stories not related or built upon? TIA
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Louise Penney book

If you can’t read them in order, I would definitely advise you to read Still Life first. It will give you a feel for the locale and the characters. This is still my favorite Louise Penny book.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't

have to read in order because they are all separate stories, but there is one major thing that happens and is mentioned in most of them that helps you understand the characters feelings about it.

I've read them all after seeing them recommended on these forumsSmiley Happy

except for her newest one.

One of my favorite ones is the one with the monks, "A Beautiful Mystery."

In all her books there are parts I like and parts I could do without but her character of Inspector Gamache is always enjoyable to read about.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

The one with the monks is one of my favorites also. I haven't read the new one yet.  

Honored Contributor

I didn’t realize it was a series when picked up one of the books either but it wasn’t necessary to the story line. I have since gone back and read about eight in the series in order I like them so much. 

Which one did you pick up out of curiosity?

Frequent Contributor

As a librarian that loves readers advisory, this is my very favorite series! I too would recommend Still Life as a beginning book, and to read them in order if possible. The books are so nuanced and layered that you get the most out of them if you read as the characters interact and develop. I look forward all year to her next book. 

Respected Contributor

You absolutely have to read them in order. There's a storyline that continues through the series: it doesn't make sense to mix up that plot.

Respected Contributor

I have read all of her Inspector Gamache Three Pines series.  I personally think you should read them in order.  There are many changes along the way and it may be difficult to follow some of the storylines.  

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse
I bought Glass Houses. After reading these posts by all our fellow readers, I think I will definitely get the first one she wrote introducing the setting & characters.
Thank you all!!
Trusted Contributor

For the Louise Penny fans out there, I just finished her latest one, "A BETTER MAN," and I thought it was one of the best books she has ever written.