Honored Contributor

Portable CD player for audiobooks?

I want a portable CD player I can wear when doing house chores.  It has to have the pause and resume feature.  I have looked on Amazon and they have tons of them.  Its confusing to me.

My question is do any of you have one or would recommend one?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Re: Portable CD player for audiobooks?

I don't use CDs anymore, but when I did, I had something like the Sony CFD-S70. It has AM/FM radio, a CD player, and a cassette deck. I bought one for my mom, as well. Mine worked for over 10 years. They don't make the one I have anymore, but the CFD-S70 is a newer model. It has a play/pause button. (I've never seen a CD player without a pause option, but I checked a close-up of the photo on the Sony site and the Play button is clearly labeled Play/Pause.) You can Google Sony CFD-S70 to find one online or see if it's carried locally.

Images of CD/Cassette Boombox with Radio

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland..............Thanks for your info but I want one that is portable so I can go room to room, outside, etc.

Respected Contributor

That is portable. It's got a handle (folded down in the picture) and can use either batteries or a power cord. My mom carried hers from the bedroom to the kitchen. 

You can find smaller ones or the kind so small that they have no speakers and need headphones but I haven't used them and can't vouch for them. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

That is portable. It's got a handle (folded down in the picture) and can use either batteries or a power cord. My mom carried hers from the bedroom to the kitchen. 

You can find smaller ones or the kind so small that they have no speakers and need headphones but I haven't used them and can't vouch for them. Smiley Happy

@Alison Wonderland

I think @Imaoldhippie is looking for more of the size of an iPod which I think they quit making?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.............Yes, I think that is what I am looking for.  Its small, flat like a pancake.  Im so tecchnical LOL. and want to wear it in a carrier around my waist.

They have them on Amazon but there are so many of them and the prices are shockingly high.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie

Search Sandisk 8GB Clip Jam MP3 Player (Black) for $33.95 on Amazon. They also have a red one for $29.99 if you have Prime.

It will hold up to 2000 songs or books plus you can use a sd card to add more if you need to.

Yes some are expensive but this one should work just fine.

Shows it has play, pause, rewind etc below.

sandiskCapture.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie, I know exactly what you mean.  I think your best bet would be to put the word out among family, friends and neighbors and see if anyone has one they don’t use anymore.  The other option is to look on used goods buy and sell site or place.  You can post an ad ‘Looking for working portable CD player...’.  You might get lucky.

Know this though.  What you buy will be several years old and may not work well or for a long time so don’t pay a lot of $ for it.  Good Luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Nightowlz.............Yes, I think that is what I am looking for.  Its small, flat like a pancake.  Im so tecchnical LOL. and want to wear it in a carrier around my waist.

They have them on Amazon but there are so many of them and the prices are shockingly high.

You can get one for $20 at Target.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Imaoldhippie

Search Sandisk 8GB Clip Jam MP3 Player (Black) for $33.95 on Amazon. They also have a red one for $29.99 if you have Prime.

It will hold up to 2000 songs or books plus you can use a sd card to add more if you need to.

Yes some are expensive but this one should work just fine.

Shows it has play, pause, rewind etc below.

sandiskCapture.PNG

That's not a CD player, that's an MP3 player. You can't use that with a CD unless you copy the contents of the CD onto a computer drive, convert the files to the MP3 format, and then copy the files from the computer to the SD card.

This is a portable CD player:

target.JPG