Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me choose a book - Jewish fiction / literature

I've read some of these that have been listed and plan on added some that I haven't read to my list.

Too bad the Marvelous Mrs. Masiel isn't a book....I love it and just finished binge watching the second season!

Honored Contributor

I don't know but  you might find something interesting to some of you here:

https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/section/new-hebrew-writing

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I've read some of these that have been listed and plan on added some that I haven't read to my list.

Too bad the Marvelous Mrs. Masiel isn't a book....I love it and just finished binge watching the second season!

@haddon9hi, I binge watched both seasons in a few days! I knew I wanted to watch it when it first came out, but I kept putting it off, and when I heard season 2 was coming out, I just sat down and watched both seasons one after another. I can't believe how much I loved it and how I anticipate the next season!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover

You're probably looking for something more current than these books if it's for your Book Club, but here are some of my (REALLY old) favorites:

Exodus by Leon Uris

The Hope by Herman Wouk

The Glory by Herman Wouk

Exodus is a sprawling book about the foundations of modern Israel.  I had always wondered what it must be like to live in Israel today under the constant threat surrounding the country -- Wouk's two books are as close as I could come to finding an answer in fiction-- one is a continuation of the other with the same characters.

Also, for a completely different slant,

Between River and Sea:  Encounters in Israel and Palestine by Dervla Murphy (2015)

and

A Month by the Sea:  Encounters in Gaza by Dervla Murphy (2013)

Dervla Murphy is an Irish writer who made a career of traveling all over the world by herself, much of the time by mule or bicycle.  As she has gotten older, her point of view tends to be more politically outspoken than most of what we hear expressed out loud in the US.

Totally unrelated to your question, the first book I ever read by Dervla Murphy was "Eight Feet in the Andes" about her trek across the Andes following the route of the Conquistadores with two mules and her eight-year-old daughter.  I marveled at the kind of courage that could even contemplate making such a trip. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover   You might enjoy "The Hare with Amber Eyes - A Hidden Inheritance," by Edmund de Waal.  I think it is excellent - although it is not necessarily light-hearted.

Respected Contributor

Dervla Murphy hates Israel and wishes it's dissolution, and is not Jewish, so how are these Jewish books? @Honeybit

Trusted Contributor

@Justice4all

Sorry if you were offended -- since the OP was preparing for a group discussion, I was simply sharing books I had read and found interesting about life in Israel   I was not promoting Dervla Murphy's political opinions.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit

perhaps her books are'fiction' but certainly not Jewish