Honored Contributor

Perfect for Memorial Day reading - Second Watch, JA Jance

I just finished J. A. Jance's Second Watch.  It's perfect for Memorial Day weekend reading.

It's one of the J.P. Beaumont, Seattle detective, novels, and brings in a connection to the character's time in the Vietnam war.  That portion is based on a real-life connection the author had with one of her former classmates who died there.

The backstory is beautifully woven into the characters' present "lives," real names are used, and the soldiers are very much honored and made real.

Highly recommended even if you've never read one of Jance's books before.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Re: Perfect for Memorial Day reading - Second Watch, JA Jance

thanks, @GingerPeach!  Your book recommendations are always spot on for me.  Smiley Happy

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes

Thanks so much!  That's very sweet of you to say. 

After you read it, I'd be interested to read your impressions.  Have you read any of J.A. Jance's other novels?  I do like almost every single one I've ever read (and I've got a lot more to go).  She is still writing, too.

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach, no, I have not read this author at all so I look forward to her work!  I'll absolutely return w/my thoughts on this book. 

Happily, I've been on a tear reading lately as my concentration has returned.  It takes frequent, tho unplanned, "vacations" on me.  😜

Honored Contributor

Hi @3cupcakes

I think I might possibly know what you mean.  I went through a long period when reading didn't interest me much.  TV watching seemed to be "enough," even though I knew something was missing from life since I've been a lifelong reader -- one of those who often had several books going at once.

I can happily report that this particular book I picked up at random from a stack of "not-yet-read" books and found it not only engrossing so much so that I did little else all day yesterday, as well as finding it especially appropriate for this particular weekend. 

Anyway, have a great weekend doing whatever you like most. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hi @GingerPeach, I have read most of J. A. Jance's books and like them very much.  The J. P. Beaumont books are my favorite, followed by Sheriiff Joanna Brady, then the Ali Reynolds books.  I have never read any of her Walker family series.  She is a very prolific writer, publishing 2-3 books a year!  Glad you are enjoying them as well.

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach.  Had to return to tell you I downloaded "Second Watch" to my iPad last night & read until I fell asleep.  Man, that iPad hurts when it smacks you in the nose as you doze off.  LOL

Got up early to get the "domestics" out of the way so I can get back to it!

usually I'm not a fan of stories that go back & forth in time, but this is one of those that has just grabbed me & I wanted to thank you for the recommendation.

off to read w/my little pot of tea.......& maybe a cookie or 3.  🤓

Hope le you have a lovely day.   (Can't wait until Q fixes the posting issues w/iPad.  )

Valued Contributor

@Homegirl   i finished!  I was just glued to that story & i've found another new author to follow thanks to you. 

gee, i was crying at the last few pages, which hasn't happened in quite a while.  LOL

& i should have seen that ending coming, but i didn't.  LOL

The best part was the whole story was believable, which i've been having a problem w/lately.  I close the book & say to myself "oh, come on". 

Hope you had a lovely day. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you loved it, @3cupcakes

I thought not only was the story well done and everything fit together and made sense and was intelligent, it was very respectful to the soldiers. 

I saw your other post about Memorial Day after we had begun discussing this book, so I'm even more glad I led you to a good book and not a silly one.

Most of Jance's books are pretty good (not all, but many to most).  Overall, she's a satisfying author to read.

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm so glad you loved it, @3cupcakes

I thought not only was the story well done and everything fit together and made sense and was intelligent, it was very respectful to the soldiers. 

I saw your other post about Memorial Day after we had begun discussing this book, so I'm even more glad I led you to a good book and not a silly one.

Most of Jance's books are pretty good (not all, but many to most).  Overall, she's a satisfying author to read.

Gosh, you lead me to such an appropriate book for me, @GingerPeach, for the holiday.

I am of the Vietman War generation & several of my high school classmates went right off to war at grauation.  Most didn't come home, but I remember wishing them a safe return as they left.

So the story weaving back to Beau's experience just floored me, to tell you the truth.  I ended up in tears at the end of the book.

Yes, for better or worse, i jumped on my soapbox after reading the flogging of a very lovely poster's heartfelt, rememberance post which included happy.  

The thing is I myself don't use happy as part of the holiday greeting, but the level of unkindness that day just pushed every button i had. 

But as of tonight, the soap box is back in the closet.

Thank you very much again; I'm up to about # 5 of the Dismas Hardy series too.  Your recommendations have been right on the nose for me.  Smiley Surprised)