Honored Contributor

Re: One of your favorite books that was made into a just as good movie

@JillyMarie wrote:

The A&E version of Pride and Prejudice.  Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle.  The absolute best version of P & P. 

I just saw her in The Looming Tower. I didn't even know her. She's put on weight (unless they put it on her to make her look older?) which she did. But her face. I knew that face! Then I saw her name in the credits. She is the daughter of the famous actress Rosemary Harris and Jennifer's name is pronounced ee-lee. I just found that out looking her up! And you're right about the Pride and Prejudice series. Loved it.

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

The A&E version of Pride and Prejudice.  Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle.  The absolute best version of P & P. 

I just saw her in The Looming Tower. I didn't even know her. She's put on weight (unless they put it on her to make her look older?) which she did. But her face. I knew that face! Then I saw her name in the credits. She is the daughter of the famous actress Rosemary Harris and Jennifer's name is pronounced ee-lee. I just found that out looking her up! And you're right about the Pride and Prejudice series. Loved it.

If you saw The King's Speech you saw Colin and Jennifer together again.  Althought Colin was the star and Jennifer was a relatively minor character.  She played the wife of the speech therapist.

Trusted Contributor

Not strictly speaking a movie, but my all-time favorite was the PBS series version of Anne of Green Gables which starred Megan Follows as Anne.  Most of the cast was absolutely pitch perfect for the book.  There was a new version this summer "Anne of Green Gables - Fire and Dew" with Martin Sheen as Matthew.  It was kind of a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version and many of the scenes were not from the book.  It wasn't a BAD version, except the other was a really hard act to follow.

I agree about the movie version of To Kill a Mockingbird, and I disagree to some extent about the Lord of the Rings.  They did a wonderful job with the movies for what they did, but people who only saw the movie think the story is all monsters and battles and miss the real depth and power of the books.  But I give the film's makers full marks for their vision and their use of New Zealand.

I had to go to each of The Hobbit movie trilogy films just to see how they managed to make an epic out of such a small book.