Honored Contributor

Re: One of the Saddest Books You've Ever Read?

@sunala Hmmm I'm not sure off the top of my head.  However one of the saddest movies that I've seen was called, "Hatchi, A Dog's Tale" starring Richard Geere.  

It was made in 2009 but we just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago....OMG!!  So Sad!  DH said that was good....I couldn't respond since I was bawling!  It's loosely based on a true story.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

A Man Called Ove, I sobbed at the end. 😢

@QVCkitty1 

Oh, I thought that was a great book.  I did not find it that sad.  I loved Ove.  I wish there were more books like that.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@sunala Hmmm I'm not sure off the top of my head.  However one of the saddest movies that I've seen was called, "Hatchi, A Dog's Tale" starring Richard Geere.  

It was made in 2009 but we just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago....OMG!!  So Sad!  DH said that was good....I couldn't respond since I was bawling!  It's loosely based on a true story.

@haddon9  I know what it's about but there's no way I would be able to watch it. I'd never stop crying.

Trusted Contributor

"The B--tard of Istanbul" and "Honor", both by Elif Shafak. Two of the saddest books I have ever read. You can't read them without a box of tissues. If you have never read anything by this author, I highly recommend her. She is quite prolific and all of her books are good.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

A Man Called Ove, I sobbed at the end. 😢

@QVCkitty1 

Oh, I thought that was a great book.  I did not find it that sad.  I loved Ove.  I wish there were more books like that.

@Nonametoday  I loved it too, but it was sad and touching. I cried like a baby.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

"Truths I Never Told you"

"The Things We cannot Say"

"If You Tell"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does anyone remember the name of the book about the couple in NYC who abused the adopted children (true story) but I cannot remember the name and they abused them terribly.  I think both of them went to prison.  They would get drugged up and abuse the children terribly bad.

That was one of the saddest books I ever read.  Child abuse books get to my heart.  There are many I have read in my lifetime but those I listed above are some I have read more recently.

I think, because I served on a jury that indicted a woman who (she and her boyfriend, very upper middle class), beat and murdered one of her children and the other had broken bones and presented to the ER frequently and the police were reporting it but she was from an affluent family and it was just swept under the rug sotospeak.  I saw the pictures of those children and I think it just so touched me and moved me to read books about those kinds of incidents.  Maybe I should not.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9  I know what it's about but there's no way I would be able to watch it. I'd never stop crying.

@proudlyfromNJ I really had no idea so it was a complete surprise to me...I was deeply affected by it and couldn't stop thinking about it for days!

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Does anyone remember the name of the book about the couple in NYC who abused the adopted children (true story) but I cannot remember the name and they abused them terribly.  I think both of them went to prison.  They would get drugged up and abuse the children terribly bad.

That was one of the saddest books I ever read.  Child abuse books get to my heart.  There are many I have read in my lifetime but those I listed above are some I have read more recently.

I think, because I served on a jury that indicted a woman who (she and her boyfriend, very upper middle class), beat and murdered one of her children and the other had broken bones and presented to the ER frequently and the police were reporting it but she was from an affluent family and it was just swept under the rug sotospeak.  I saw the pictures of those children and I think it just so touched me and moved me to read books about those kinds of incidents.  Maybe I should not.

While I do not remember the book it was the story of Hedda Nussbaum and her partner (don't recall his name). They were caretakers for a child Lisa Steinberg and that story affected me profoundly.  That was written during a time where child abuse unfortunately, wasn't given as much attention as it thankfully is today.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

While I do not remember the book it was the story of Hedda Nussbaum and her partner (don't recall his name). They were caretakers for a child Lisa Steinberg and that story affected me profoundly.  That was written during a time where child abuse unfortunately, wasn't given as much attention as it thankfully is today.

@bmorechick @Nonametoday  The disgusting pigs name is Joel Steinberg. Unfortunately the pig was released from prison.