Regular Contributor

Re: One of the Saddest Books You've Ever Read?

@songbird - Thank you so much for mentioning Falling to Earth.  I had never heard of it before and fortunately my library had a copy on the shelf.  What an excellent read!  I never saw the tragic ending coming and it really threw me for a loop.  Both the story and writing were very compelling.

I love when I find books from this forum that I have never read and really enjoy!  It's like receiving a present.

Regular Contributor

Two books that definitely made me sob are The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  The movies are tearjerkers as well!

And who can forget The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings?  I remember reading it as a child and absolutely bawling.  My mother warned me I would!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joviolin wrote:

@songbird - Thank you so much for mentioning Falling to Earth.  I had never heard of it before and fortunately my library had a copy on the shelf.  What an excellent read!  I never saw the tragic ending coming and it really threw me for a loop.  Both the story and writing were very compelling.

I love when I find books from this forum that I have never read and really enjoy!  It's like receiving a present.

The most moving part of the the book, was Homer at 85, looking at his house and he's suddenly 5 again & he's looking for Ellis, who wasn't lost in the pacific, but is upstairs somewhere.  And waiting for Mother to call them for supper.  And the ride to California crying.....

The book was a gem.  Was in a lot of book clubs.  I purchased the book for my book club, as all copies were checked out.  But glad I did.  Going to read it again.  Hard to believe Nature and human geings could be that cruel.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

although there is always hope at the end.......the saddest books i have ever read were THE KITE RUNNER and A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS. powerful reading, but you definitely have to be in the mood for them.

Oh he is my favorite author.  I loved all three of his books.   I keep waiting for another book but it's been almost 10 years so maybe he is finished with writing.

The saddest book I've read without a doubt is The Heart is the Lonely Hunter.   And I sobbed in the movie.  It was on TV tonight but I just couldn't watch it.  Heart breaking.

Honored Contributor

Old Yeller  - Frank Gipson.

My Dad read this to me when I was tiny.  I cry even now to think about it.  🐕 

I think someone already mentioned this one.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Currently reading The Four Winds. So depressing I doubt I will finish it. Same feelings were evoked in The Grapes of Wrath. Recently ready Hamnet and would rank it as one of the saddest books ever. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@sunala 

Since childhood-

Bridge to Terabithia - Kindle edition by Paterson, Katherine, Donna  Diamond. Children Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1I never read Angela's Ashes, although it's on my ever-growing list. I don't want to cry though!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@sunala 

Since childhood-

Bridge to Terabithia - Kindle edition by Paterson, Katherine, Donna  Diamond. Children Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

@lolakimono- I never heard of this book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Frequent Contributor

A Child Called "It"

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas