Honored Contributor

Re: One of the Saddest Books You've Ever Read?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

Does anyone remember the name of the book about the couple in NYC who abused the adopted children (true story) but I cannot remember the name and they abused them terribly.  I think both of them went to prison.  They would get drugged up and abuse the children terribly bad.

That was one of the saddest books I ever read.  Child abuse books get to my heart.  There are many I have read in my lifetime but those I listed above are some I have read more recently.

I think, because I served on a jury that indicted a woman who (she and her boyfriend, very upper middle class), beat and murdered one of her children and the other had broken bones and presented to the ER frequently and the police were reporting it but she was from an affluent family and it was just swept under the rug sotospeak.  I saw the pictures of those children and I think it just so touched me and moved me to read books about those kinds of incidents.  Maybe I should not.

While I do not remember the book it was the story of Hedda Nussbaum and her partner (don't recall his name). They were caretakers for a child Lisa Steinberg and that story affected me profoundly.  That was written during a time where child abuse unfortunately, wasn't given as much attention as it thankfully is today.

@bmorechick @Nonametoday  The disgusting pigs name is Joel Steinberg. Unfortunately the pig was released from prison.

@proudlyfromNJ @bmorechick 

Yes, that's it.  Joel Steinberg and Hedda Nussbaum. 

Honored Contributor

That's easy.  Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood.  It centers over the the  March 18, 1925. The day of the Tri State Tornado.  The worst in American recorded history.  Over 695 deaths and 2 billion dollar damage.  One family was completely unscathed by the storm.  Nothing was damaged.  Even their 3 children were home with a cold, while 65'% of the deaths were in the Elementary school. The family volunteered to help, building coffins for free from the father's sawmill (also undamaged)  But the town is enraged with the family and they are going to get their pound of flesh.  I won't give away the spoiler, but it was so sad to read.  I felt angry, yet understood the rage of the town.  I also felt for that one family.  It was scary to, go about your business in the town, knowing the deep hatred is  facing you.  One of my favorite characters was youngest child with a wonderful name....Homer a 5 year old child witnessing what is happening to his family. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

Does anyone remember the name of the book about the couple in NYC who abused the adopted children (true story) but I cannot remember the name and they abused them terribly.  I think both of them went to prison.  They would get drugged up and abuse the children terribly bad.

That was one of the saddest books I ever read.  Child abuse books get to my heart.  There are many I have read in my lifetime but those I listed above are some I have read more recently.

I think, because I served on a jury that indicted a woman who (she and her boyfriend, very upper middle class), beat and murdered one of her children and the other had broken bones and presented to the ER frequently and the police were reporting it but she was from an affluent family and it was just swept under the rug sotospeak.  I saw the pictures of those children and I think it just so touched me and moved me to read books about those kinds of incidents.  Maybe I should not.

While I do not remember the book it was the story of Hedda Nussbaum and her partner (don't recall his name). They were caretakers for a child Lisa Steinberg and that story affected me profoundly.  That was written during a time where child abuse unfortunately, wasn't given as much attention as it thankfully is today.

@bmorechick @Nonametoday  The disgusting pigs name is Joel Steinberg. Unfortunately the pig was released from prison.

@proudlyfromNJ @bmorechick 

That's most unfortunate that either would be released of any guilt or punishment.  This was a horrible, horrible gut-wrenching story.  I could not sleep for several nights, for thinking about the abuse.

Trusted Contributor

The Lovely Bones....stayed with me for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

That's easy.  Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood.  It centers over the the  March 18, 1925. The day of the Tri State Tornado.  The worst in American recorded history.  Over 695 deaths and 2 billion dollar damage.  One family was completely unscathed by the storm.  Nothing was damaged.  Even their 3 children were home with a cold, while 65'% of the deaths were in the Elementary school. The family volunteered to help, building coffins for free from the father's sawmill (also undamaged)  But the town is enraged with the family and they are going to get their pound of flesh.  I won't give away the spoiler, but it was so sad to read.  I felt angry, yet understood the rage of the town.  I also felt for that one family.  It was scary to, go about your business in the town, knowing the deep hatred is  facing you.  One of my favorite characters was youngest child with a wonderful name....Homer a 5 year old child witnessing what is happening to his family. 

@songbird 

This tornado actually happened but is this story true, or is it based on truth?  I don't care either way.  I plan to read it but just interested in knowing which it is.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain 

My DIL read that.  It really made a big, disturbing impression on her and she brought the book for me to read.  I had forgotten this one.  It is disturbing.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain 

My DIL read that.  It really made a big, disturbing impression on her and she brought the book for me to read.  I had forgotten this one.  It is disturbing.

Agree. The author is very talented but the subject matter is sad. I read it while I was recovering from pneumonia and the feeling was powerful. I will always remember that book.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@songbird 

This tornado actually happened but is this story true, or is it based on truth?  I don't care either way.  I plan to read it but just interested in knowing which it is.

The story is fiction.  The events of the tornado, the damage, the deaths....all true.  The family was popular in the town before what happend.  But because this family went through this almost 100% unharmed while everyone eles suffered became to be too much....

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@songbird- this was one of my favorite books. These were such good people that had to suffer through such indignities and eventual hell. Thanks for reminding me of the book; I haven't thought of it for a while.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

Cry No More by Linda Howard had me sobbing.....One good author who does not write any more.