Respected Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Loved Sister Stardust by Jane Green.  Based on the real life of Talitha Getty, who was the wife of J. Paul Getty, Jr. and their wild life mostly set in Marrakesh.  An innocent woman Claire was the main character besides The Getty's and their friends.  It was a fast wonderful read. 

Trusted Contributor

just read J. Sanfords newest RIGHTEOUS PREY. As usual he never disappoints! He has written so many books and he keeps getting better.

Trusted Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

just read J. Sanfords newest RIGHTEOUS PREY. As usual he never disappoints! He has written so many books and he keeps getting better.

I agree with you, @Epicurean.  I just read Sandford's Righteous Prey too and enjoyed it.  I especially like how he is letting Lucas and Virgil work together now.  Two great characters in one book!

Esteemed Contributor

I just wrapped up The Reversal (Mickey Haller #3) by Michael Connelly. This is part of the Lincoln Lawyer Series, and I do enjoy this series. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears just finished one this weekend and thought of you.  We both like Meet Cute Christina Lauren type books and this seems to be one as well.  

The Love Hypothesis, by Ali Hazelwood.  A grad student working on her Phd at Stanford gets a tyrant hot-shot professor (not hers so no rules broken) to be her fake boyfriend.  Olive does this so that her ex-boyfriend and best friend will get together.  Olive knows they like each other but do not want to pursue a relationship with Olive being alone.  So the very tall, handsome and athletic professor just happens to be in the right or wrong place at the time to set up the new boyfriend scenario.  He is perfect to look at but his personality and social skills are those of a grumpy old man living in cabin in isolation.  Love is in the air.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another 2 day read for me.  All's Well by Mona Awad.  It was interesting.  Amazon called it occult.  I call it very bizarre and interesting.  You have to read the plot for this one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have no idea why I haven't been posting book reads either here or Proboards.  Just really got out of the habit over the summer.  Getting caught up (so will be a kind of longish list!)

Adult Assembly Required - Abbi Waxman

River of the Gods: Genius, Courage and Betrayal in the Search for the Source of the Nile - Candace Millard (Governerd book club)

The Dead Romantics -  Ashley Poston

The IT Girl - Ruth Ware (I'll keep reading her, but I don't know if I could recommend.  Figured out pretty early on.)

Honey & Spice - Bolu Babalola (RWBC)

Wrong Place, Wrong Time - Gillian McAllister (RWBC) I don't usually read a lot of "time travel" books, but I thought this was rather original.  Enjoyed quite a bit.

Mika in Real Life - Emiko Jean

Verity - Colleen Hoover (free on Audible one month. Perhaps NOT the kind of book you want to listen too.  At least, you hope no one can hear you listening! )

The Couple at No. 9 - Claire Douglas

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption - Bryan Stevenson (Governerd Book Club)

Before She Knew Him - Peter Swanson

Carrie Soto is Back - Taylor Jenkins Reid (Audible version is incredible!)

On the Rooftop - Margaret Wilkerson Sexton (RWBC)

The Fortunes of Jaded Women - Carolyn Huynh

Killers of a Certain Age - Deanna Raybourn

The Marriage Portrait - Maggie O'Farrell

The Winners (Beartown, #3) - Fredrik Backman

Have liked most of them - some more than others.  On this list, my least favorites have probably been Killers of a Certain Age and some of the RWBC picks (other than Wrong Place, as noted above).  Have been surprised by some of these - enjoyed Mika, Cabin 9 and Jaded Women more than I thought I would.  Marriage Portrait kept me googling to get the "real" story.  And Backman...well, made me laugh and cry.

Backman spoiler:

Spoiler
Book #1 leaves you with a prophecy of 4 hockey players.  Book #2 solidifies who those prophecies actually relate to.  Which meant - someone we know and love would die in this book.  This was not a spoiler - we knew this was coming. And, unless you weren't paying attention, we know WHO.  And, for those truly obtuse, Backman keeps foreshadowing the demise. It is absolutely not a surprise.  Which may have made the actual death - IMO at least - a little underwhelming.  It didn't pack the wallop I was expecting.  For sure, I teared up a little. I just thought it would be more emotional.

The book itself was too long - I often wished Backman would just get to the point.  Wish the number of characters were cut down. Wish the various plots were cut down. Not a favorite Backman, but a fitting end to the trilogy.

Currently getting caught up on two Governerd Book Club picks - The Office BFFs by Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey and The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green.  This book club has zoom meetings with the authors - many of which I've missed.  But, I've enjoyed the ones I've caught live.

Will also be starting Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng on Audible.  A RWBC pick - but would have read regardless.  Have been looking forward to her next book.  In fact, I'm not even sure I know what it's about!  LOL

Respected Contributor

@justashopper , I'm reading Carnegie's Maid now, only about 1/4 way through it and am really enjoying the read. I love historical novels and, although I've never read anything by Marie Benedict, I'm thinking I will probably search out more. I've already gotten "attached" to Clara.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego   Wow, quite a list.  I'm still on hold for Wrong Place, Wrong Time and glad you liked it.  I'm also waiting for Killers of a Certain Age.  it sounded so intriguing and I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it better.    I can't believe how long the waitlist is for these two books.

Also looking forward to Our Missing Hearts

Thanks for the reviews! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Book: ALL GOOD PEOPLE HERE

Author: Ashley Flowers

When a niece returns to her hometown to care for her uncle, she uses her reporter's skills to solve some murders. There are similarities to the JonBenet Ramsey case which caused my mind to want to flip from fiction to fact. I'm not good at finding plot holes, but it seemed odd that DNA evidence wasn't mentioned. I believe it was around in 1994 when six year old dancer, January Jacobs was killed and it would have provided one very important clue in the case.