Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Marrying The Ketchup's, by Jennifer Close.  The third generation of family members works off and on in the family restaurant that their grandparents built.  Not only is a "job" always available to the adult children but the above the restaurant apartment is always there as a safe haven as needed for whomever.  It has been expected for this generation to take over at some point but that time as not come.  In their 30's they want more but yet the same than what their parents and grandparents did.  

A Lady For A Duke, by Alexis Hall.  Sometimes a romance novel with royalty just feels the perfect read on an afternoon.  This book had me going back and forth trying to figure out why the ladies maid was formerly a titled royal pretending to be dead.  Yet back at home with her brother and SIL as her companion.  Throw in the Duke who thought he had left his friend dead on the battle field and lost now in his cups and laudanum.  Finally it revealed itself the ladies companion is transgendered and the Duke is not attracted to any debs of the balls.  I skipped to the last chapter to see if there was at least a happy ending.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I have been reading Irina Shapiro, "wonderland series".  It starts as a time travel to the year 1685, full of British history.  These books are so well written, I cannot put them down.  Twists and turns, turns and twists!  After reading the first book free several weeks ago from Bookbub, I purchased the rest of the series (5 total) and started them Wednesday night.  Here it is Monday, according to my kindle it would take me 32 hours to complete the series and I will be done tonight :-/  

I'll be sorry to finish.  

Honored Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

I have been reading Irina Shapiro, "wonderland series".  It starts as a time travel to the year 1685, full of British history.  These books are so well written, I cannot put them down.  Twists and turns, turns and twists!  After reading the first book free several weeks ago from Bookbub, I purchased the rest of the series (5 total) and started them Wednesday night.  Here it is Monday, according to my kindle it would take me 32 hours to complete the series and I will be done tonight :-/  

I'll be sorry to finish.  

If you enjoy this type of reading you may want to try the series below of 3 books involving time travel, the FBI and a Duke.   I really loved all three.  Bk 1 is Caught In Time by Julie McElwain.  Amazon does a good description of the three.

Caught in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan Mystery Series)

Betrayal in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan Mystery Series)

A Twist in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan Mystery Series)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Book: THE OTHER MRS. 

Author: Mary Kubica

I didn't want to finish this psychological thriller once I figured out what mental illness plagued the main character. However, there was a nice twist near the end, so I'm glad I kept reading, but I won't seek out more books by this author.

Trusted Contributor

I read Home Sweet Tiny Home by Melody Carlson which was about a widowed woman with an empty nest who decides to down size into a tiny home and the adventures that ensue after she makes that decision. Just a light cute read when something like that is called for.

I also read The Palace Papers by Tina Brown which was a long book but I did learn some things I never knew before. I don't know if it was just me but it seemed to me like the British are still all wrapped up in rank and class and that seemed very foreign to me.

Why did it seem like everyone in the book had two or three last names? It was very tiresome. I was wishing there were more Smith's and Jones. lol

It also appears that if you become a royal spouse you really have to love the person to put up with all that it entails in terms of duty and service. It seems a lot of being a royal is very boring stuff.

I think I'll just stick to being a princess in my own house. lol

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished The Stranger in the Lifeboat by Mitch Albom.  This was a quick read and held my interest to see what happened next.  

I started Cell by Stephen King, hated it and bailed almost immediately.  I usually like his books, read him for years. This one...nada.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

I am just finishing up Into the Pines, Kendra Elliot.  It is only 281 pages which is why I tell myself I kept reading...because it was so short.  I should have PTB.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading Alison Weir's book about Jane Seymour. I like Weir's writing and how she brings the Tudors to life. I don't know how historically accurate her books are, but that doesn't matter to me. Her books are entertaining and they tell a good story. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I liked some of the books by Faye Kellerman, but got away from reading them. When Decker moved to New York state, I lost interest. Gabe was OK, but he was in the story a lot. I liked when the book focused more on the Deckers' relationship (really like Rina). I won't be checking out her newest one. 

I'm almost finished with "The Lincoln Highway." This took some unexpected turns, but is well written. I want to know how it ends. 

@teganslaw   Personally, I hope Amore Towles will write a sequel to "The Lincoln Highway," as well as "A Gentleman in Moscow."  I thoroughly enjoy his writing.