Respected Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2021 HAPPY READING TO ALL. LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAVORITES

Just finished Tracy Brogan's My Kind of You.  It's a trilogy and though it was a cute book it was sort of predictable throughout.  Not sure if I want to read the other 2 though.

Trusted Contributor

I am. enjoying THE JEALOUSY MAN by Jo Nesbo. It's very different from usual. It's a book of short stories. 
Will really miss ithis site as so many of us like to read similar books and nice to chat with other "book, people".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Perfect Match by Fern Michaels, this was heartwarming story that gave me warm fuzzy feelings, but to make a complete story there has to be a villain and there was one, I enjoyed this book, and let me not forget Gizmo the Sergeant dog who is more human like than some people, and of course I fell in love with him.

Frequent Contributor

I recently finished Keep Me Warm at Christmas by Brenda Novak . It is part of her Silver Springs series, but can be read as a stand alone book. I am now reading False Witness by Karin Slaughter. It is a great thriller.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Murder (and Baklava), book 1 of the European cozy mystery series by Blake Pierce.  I really enjoy books that tell history, and this book tells of some of the Hungarian history.  

The book starts out by introducting London Rose, who works for a cruise line that is having major financial difficulties.  She is on a break and staying at her sister's home when she gets a video call from her boss.  Expecting to be told that her job has been eliminated, she is surprised when she is offered an opportunity to work on his new start-up with river cruises.  She jumps at the opportunity and immediately flies into Budapest. 

Of course, there is a murder, but there are so many other things that are really interesting about this book.  If you like cozy mysteries with local color, you might like this book. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I just finished Murder (and Baklava), book 1 of the European cozy mystery series by Blake Pierce.  I really enjoy books that tell history, and this book tells of some of the Hungarian history.  

The book starts out by introducting London Rose, who works for a cruise line that is having major financial difficulties.  She is on a break and staying at her sister's home when she gets a video call from her boss.  Expecting to be told that her job has been eliminated, she is surprised when she is offered an opportunity to work on his new start-up with river cruises.  She jumps at the opportunity and immediately flies into Budapest. 

Of course, there is a murder, but there are so many other things that are really interesting about this book.  If you like cozy mysteries with local color, you might like this book. 

@SXMGirl 

Having never read a cozy mystery. I always equate it with being boring.  I read your description of the book that you have read and thought to myself that sounds like a good read. I googled Cozy Mysteries for a description and it says and I quote "It leaves you satisfied and at one with the world rather than scared to sleep alone with the lights out.

I laughed so hard at the description. I think I want to check out this book that you recommended.

Honored Contributor

Now reading  All the Little Hopes by Leah Weiss (If the Creek Don't Rise). Only took a little while till I was captivated. My gosh the woman can write! Her descriptions, her characters. You can see it all. 

What's it about. Well, it's early days but two girls, unlikely friends but hit it off right away. One is pure country and the dialect is so perfect. The other is from a normal, loving family. I can't tell you much 'cause I'm not far enough in, but I know I'm lovin' it. I haven't even come to these two thinking they are Nancy Drew or the start of WWll. There are plenty of adult characters-this is not a Young Adult book. Can't wait to see what happens there. I've only just begun. (I'm telling you now so you can get on the list at the library). But if you didn't like her first book, and I know a lot of you didn't, don't bother Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Just finished "When Never Comes" by Barbara Davis. It was really an enjoyable read, I like her writings. Now I've started "Every Bone a Prayer" by Ashley Blooms. I love books about the hollers of the Appalachian Mountains. I'm on pg 88 of 333 and really having trouble getting into it. It's really strange but I'm not giving up yet. From the cover: "Misty's holler looks like any one of a thousand hollers that fork through the Appalachian Mountains. But Misty knows her home is different. She may be only ten, but she hears things. Even the crawdads in the creek have something to say, if you listen." This is one I can't breeze through, having to read and re-read some of the pages.

Respected Contributor

Just finished a memoir by Deborah Burns, Saturday's Daughter.  It wasn't the best and it was sort of dry writing but I got through it in 2 days.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pulled the plug on Jo Nesbos book of short stories. Just plan didn't like most of them. Will Waite for a Harry Hole book to be published.

Am going to start WE ARE NOT LIKE THEM. It's written by two women,one white,one black. A unarmed black man is shot by police,the white woman is married to a policeman. How this effects there friendship is the foundation of the book. Seems very timely to me. Something we should read and talk about. It has been given rave reviews