Esteemed Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2021 HAPPY READING TO ALL. LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAVORITES

i am 3/4 of the way through Saving Noah by Lucinda Berry, very controversial subject, and I almost put it down not sure I was going to read it but this author is so talented into reeling the reader into the story starting out diisgusted with a character and ending to question your view and praying that you were wrong on your first impression, I had trouble sleeping last night so I have to try for a nap otherwise I would force myself to finish, will update with my final thoughts tomorrow!

Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj If I remember right you were going to read Winter House by Joanne Demaio, did you happen to read it, and if you did how was it?  My library finally got it in, and my husband picked it up today.  I have loved all of her books, so I know I will  enjoy this one as well!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another book read by a new author (first time debut in fiction) by Galia Gichon - The Accidental Suffragist about women rallying/picketing for their rights in NYC and Washington, DC picketing the White House and President Wilson, and the horrible things that happened when they were arrested and in prison when they picketed. 

Honored Contributor

@tarytoo wrote:

Looking forward to reading The Morning Star by Karl Ove Knausgaard. It's a little out of my price range at the moment. But I'm scouting sales at various places to get as a  Christmas gift to myself. Wish QVC would offer it on Easy Pay. 

@tarytoo I know!  Books are expensive!  You need a "cookie" jar.  Or maybe a "bookie" jar?  Woman Very Happy  Throw some change in and a few dollar bills and sooner than you think you've maybe got a book!  

I've done that with any rebates I get in recent years.  I keep track of them and that's fun money!  I can think of it as my own charity "A buck for a book!"  

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Saving Noah by Lucinda Berry, yes it was a controversial subject, but the ending had me in tears, if you can get through the subject this ended up   being a very good book!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@dmod nj If I remember right you were going to read Winter House by Joanne Demaio, did you happen to read it, and if you did how was it?  My library finally got it in, and my husband picked it up today.  I have loved all of her books, so I know I will  enjoy this one as well!

Hi @CareBears  I was going to, but never did. I got sidetracked by cross stitch, another library book I had to finish before it was due, and lots of sports. lol  

I have loved all her books. I am sure I'll  enjoy this one!  

Let me know what you thought of it.  Smiley Happy 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

Today I finished Foul Play, the newest Stuart Woods book in the Stone Barrington series.  I know many are fed up with this series, but other than the playboy aspect, I continue to be fascinated by the rich lifestyle.  And I get the books from my public library instead of spending money for them. 

The plot involves Stone's new client who is being targeted in a violent way by a Russian mobster who purchased his business and now thinks he was cheated.  Stone also becomes a target.  Most of the action takes place in New York City with side trips to Martha's Vineyard and Los Angeles. 

Respected Contributor

@tarytoo  Do you know about hoopla?  It comes from your local library and you can read books for free on your computer?

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the first four books of the Florida Keys Bed and Breakfast Cozy Mystery Series by Danielle Collins.  Set in Key West, Florida, Eva Stewart owns the Key's B&B and has started the Murder Mystery Book Club or MMBC.  So far in the books, no romance, but I can see it coming in later books.  

The books are:  MURDER MYSTERY BOOK CLUB, THE GRAVEYARD THIEF, ON THE WINGS OF MURDER, and THE HUNT FOR HEMINGWAY.

The series is a nice read in a location that I know well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

I just finished Long Road To Mercy (Atlee Pine #1) by David Baldacci. I have heard of this author but I had never read one of his books. I have been trying to find some new authors and series to branch out into and decided to give this one a try. 

The basis for Atlee's story is one of sorrow. She had a twin sister named Mercy. While in their bedroom at the age of 6 a killer climbed in through their bedroom window and chose one to kidnap by playing the game Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe. Atlee won, if you can call it that by being able to live. Mercy was taken, never to be heard from again. (Yes, tragic and depressing)  This built the basis for her becoming an FBI agent, and I will not go into more depth, but to tell you that the story is not based on her sisters kidnapping. This is just what fires her and makes her into the person that she is today.

The story involves high levels of government, criminal shenanigans, a nuclear weapon and so on.

I enjoyed the story.  

That is one of my favorite series.  #4 just came out and I always borrow them from a friend who lives about 4 hours aways.  She needs to hurry up from South Texas to East Texas pronto.  Enjoy the others @icezeus 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."