Super Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2021 HAPPY READING TO ALL. LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAVORITES

I'm about to start Visibility Disability by Alice Wong.  It's an essay collection/memoir about her life as a disable person.

Honored Contributor

I got this from my PBS stations today. I had never heard of these highly recommended mystery novels-just something to keep in mind.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/best-mystery-books-of-2021/?subscriber=true&lis...

Esteemed Contributor

I read "The Girl Who Died" by Ragnar Jonasson: one of the books recommended. It's very good, and deals with a mystery/ghost sighting. I also recommend his "Dark Iceland" series, which features detective Ari Thor. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished An Invitation To Murder, book 1 of the Mary Blake mysteries, by A. G. Barnett.  Mary Blake is a 55 year old actress who has been replaced on her series by a young and beautiful new star.  She has been holed up in her condo, drinking gin and tonics and eating candy, when her brother invites her to a murder mystery at their family home.  She and her former assistant Dot, make the drive and that is when chaos begins.  This was a good first book, luckily free, but I am not sure about paying for the next book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline 

Thank you for the link. I plan on checking it out. 

Respected Contributor

Just finished Commonwealth by Ann Patchett.  I loved The Dutch House but only liked this one!  But she does know how to write about families.

Super Contributor

I enjoyed listening to "Call Me Elizabeth Lark" by Melissa Colasanti this week.  In an effort to escape her abusive husband, Elizabeth (and her young son) stop in her hometown where she is immediately mistaken for the long lost daughter of the local inn keeper.  Knowing she should move on. . .she reluctantly assumes the identity of the missing girl, and sets into motion all kinds of repercussions.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you everyone for sharing your likes and dislikes for the month of October.

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED.