Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2021 HAPPY READING TO ALL. LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAVORITES

I finished listening to Eileen Goudge's, The Diary.  I enjoyed it very much.  

It's about two, grown sisters who find  their mother's diary  while  cleaning out their childhood home. 

There is a twist at the end which made me smile. Smiley Happy  

I am now listening to Temptation After  Dark, Marie Force. It's book number 24 of the Gansett  Series. I've read/listened to them all. Smiley Happy  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand, I enjoyed this book.  Teared up at the ending Though!

Esteemed Contributor

I just wrapped up The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller #2) by Michael Connelly.  The book was an enjoyable read.

Respected Contributor

Finished Sara Stamey's Pause which comes out next month.  It was an interesting read and at first I thought it was silly and then it turned into some pretty serious subjects but yet was a good read.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Make You Feel My Love by Robin Lee Hatcher, I really enjoyed this book!  New author for me, after checking our library she has a number of books to choose from, and I have put on hold another one, and am now following her on Amazon!

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET sounds good, I have requested it at my library, thanks for the heads up!

Super Contributor

I am currently reading How much of these HIlls is Gold by C Pam Zhhang and 

Take a hint Dani Brown by Talia HIbbert.

Trusted Contributor

I'm getting ready to start Laura Levine's new Jaine Austen cozy mystery, MURDER GETS A MAKEOVER.  Her books are always fun, with plenty of laughs.

Respected Contributor

Just ptb on my first read of October.  L. Alison Heller's The Neighbor's Secret.  Too many characters, boring, desperate housewives feel (though I've read a few like this that were at least enjoyable).  I got it from a book swap and I'm glad I don't buy books because it would have been a waste of $.

Valued Contributor

Just finished reading The Loves Songs of W.E.B DuBois by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers

The great scholar, W. E. B. Du Bois, once wrote about the Problem of race in America, and what he called “Double Consciousness,” a sensitivity that every African American possesses in order to survive. Since childhood, Ailey Pearl Garfield has understood Du Bois’s words all too well. Bearing the names of two formidable Black Americans - the revered choreographer Alvin Ailey and her great grandmother Pearl, the descendant of enslaved Georgians and tenant farmers - Ailey carries Du Bois’s Problem on her shoulders.

Ailey is reared in the north in the City but spends summers in the small Georgia town of Chicasetta, where her mother’s family has lived since their ancestors arrived from Africa in bondage. From an early age, Ailey fights a battle for belonging that’s made all the more difficult by a hovering trauma, as well as the whispers of women - her mother, Belle, her sister, Lydia, and a maternal line reaching back two centuries - that urge Ailey to succeed in their stead.

To come to terms with her own identity, Ailey embarks on a journey through her family’s past, uncovering the shocking tales of generations of ancestors - Indigenous, Black, and white - in the deep South. In doing so Ailey must learn to embrace her full heritage, a legacy of oppression and resistance, bondage and independence, cruelty and resilience that is the story - and the song - of America itself.

It took me several weeks to finish this book, not only because it is over 800 pages, but because there were sections of it that were very difficult to read (the treatment of children during slavery in particular). Our ancestors treatment of nonwhites is atrocious and despicable. 

But the book is definately worth reading.  Beautifully written and her characters came alive - both female and male.  

I got this from the library, but may end up buying it.  It may get reread at some point in time.