Super Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2021 HAPPY READING TO ALL. LET'S HEAR ABOUT YOUR FAVORITES

The Tradition by Jericho Brown.  This is poetry.  I've been getting into poetry this year.

Elatsoe by Darcie Little Badger.  This is a fantasy novel about a young Native girl named Elatsoe from the Lipan Apache tribe in Texas who can raise the ghost of dead animals.  

Read Where the Dead sit talking by Brandon Hobson.  About a young boy from the Cherokee tribe in Oaklahoma who is in foster care because his father walked out and his mom is in jail for drugs.  Heartbreaking.  I'm going to check out more book by this author next year.  

Esteemed Contributor

• Just finished Paper Doll Lina by Robyn Lucas, this book was good but very hard to read!  It deals with emotional and physical abuse from a husband to his wife,  To the outside world he seems to a perfect, good looking husband, a loving father and husband, but behind closed doors his REAL  personality is revealed to show a monster, a controlling man who wants everything his way or no way at all. he loves to remind his wife how worthless she is without him how fat she is, he is hoping demoralizing her, she will never have the courage to leave him.  Like I mentioned it was hard to read, but I still enjoyed the book!
Honored Contributor

The Whispering House, by Elizabeth Brooks;  This book could have been a great deal better.  Very old home with an ailing Mother, a reclusive son who cares for her, and a woman who meets them both and turns into his sort of prisoner.   While she attempts to recover from the death of her sister.  I just could never figure out how she did not just leave, because it was really not that impossible.  

All The Children Are Home, by Patry Francis.   This is a different side of "Before We Were Yours."   This foster children book does have some painful times with hard homes but the story involves the home these children made with a couple who fight desperately to all stay together when the system tries to pull them apart.  Even the gruff sounding  blue collar foster father as a heart of mush deep inside him for these four children.  This is a great book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Who Is Maude Dixon by Alexandra Andrews, to tell yo the truth i was just about to pull the plug, when I kept reminding myself about the reviews I have read  here and decided to trudge on  and boy am I glad that I did.  This ended being one thriller of a book, how anyone can be so deceitful   is beyond my comprehension, but that is what makes  these books so good!

Respected Contributor

Finished Pink by Monica Collier.  It was a Christian/Christmas book which I don't usually read but it wasn't over the top so.  Nothing like reading an almost 500 page book in 2 days. 

Trusted Contributor

Here's my most recent reads and a quick review:

THE MAN WHO DIED TWICE by Richard Osman - very clever and funny, just as good as his first book, THE THURSDAY CLUB MURDERS.

THE BUTLER by Danielle Steel - good book, typical Danielle Steel.

TWISTED TEA CHRISTMAS by Laura Childs - latest Tea Shop mystery, always a very descriptive writer.

STRIKING RANGE by Margaret Mizushima - latest in her series, good but not great.

2 SISTERS DETECTIVE AGENCY by James Patterson - stand-alone mystery, but not very good, IMO.  I managed to finish it, but thought it was disappointing.

Next up is WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN by Miranda James, the latest in this cozy mystery series.

Honored Contributor

Finished Appetite for Innocence, it was really good, and very disturbing!!!!! Another good thriller by Lucinda Berry!

I am now reading THE NANNY, by Gilly Macmillan......

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished the happiness thief by Nicole BOKAT, did I love this book no, but I did not hate it either. IMO the author dragged on the story too long, I guess she wanted there to be no questions left for the reader, the ending was good,unexpected so that was good!

Honored Contributor

Recommended:

*  'We Begin At The End' by Chris Whitaker 

*  'Dominicana' by Angie Cruz

*  'Moxie' by Jennifer Mathieu

*  'The Switch' by Beth O'Leary

*  'Faking Friends' by Jane Fallon

*  'The Other Americans' by Laila Lalami

Nice to see you, @sunala.  

Here's an extra b&w cookie for you:

Seinfeld Black GIF - Seinfeld Black And GIFs

Valued Contributor

I completed Amor Towles' The Lincoln Highway.

Loved this book, especially the characters

I decided to follow up with Rules of Civility by the same author.