Honored Contributor

Nook Free Friday- January 2022

Happy 2022 to everyone! 

The Free Friday selection for January 7 is 

The Good Daughter by S.A. McEwen

ED63CDB6-1FAA-444D-AA32-C693AC52DB1F.jpeg

A violent murder.

A family secret.

And a boyfriend who's not who he says he is...

Sydney, Australia. Lawyer and companion Natalie Coommaraswamy struggles to be the good daughter her parents demand. A second-generation Sri Lankan, she's never penetrated her family's resolute silence surrounding their flight from Sri Lanka, and has been left with unanswered questions about where she belongs and who she can trust.

Then her best friend is found murdered. Fuelled by disinterest from the police, Natalie begins her own hunt for the murderer. But when clues point to her new lover, her carefully regulated world starts to unravel. And the truth will threaten more than her sanity...

A dark, smart and twisty thriller for fans of Lisa Jewell, Liane Moriarty and Jane Harper.

Enjoy! And hi @Stargazer77 !  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nook Free Friday- January 2022

Happy New Year @beach-mom!  Thanks for posting the Nook Free Friday for everyone!

Does anyone rememeber Dani Pettrey's book Submerged?  It was a Nook Free Friday selection a few years ago and I liked it so much I read all 5 books in the series.  Check it out if you're looking for a new series to read.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

The Nook Free Friday selection for January 14th is...

The Viper and the Urchin: Books 1-3 - A Quirky Steampunk Fantasy Series

Fancy hanging out with some quirky misfits in a world that's like a mix of Victorian London and South East Asia? Think of it as tropical steampunk!

The gang's made up of:

- A skinny pickpocket with dreadlocks, a cheeky grin, and a smart mouth
- A foppish assassin with a fear of blood
- A handsome, elite fighter, master of the sardonic raised eyebrow
- A smuggler with a drinking problem and a propensity for brawling
- And a no-nonsense, heavily tattooed female machinist, trying to keep them all in line

Can they complete their missions without getting caught, killed, and without arguing?

The latter is by far the most problematic....

Join the gang with this boxset from The Viper and the Urchin series which includes 3 steampunk capers. Over 900 pages full of quirky characters, humour, and adventure.

>> Book 1 – The Bloodless Assassin:
Ride on a mechanical, steam-powered spider along the rooftops, prowl through cutthroat infested, crookback lanes, and enjoy the decadence of Damsport's steam baths...until a dead alchemist appears in the baths.

>> Book 2 – The Black Orchid:
Discover the luxurious debauchery of a mysterious black and gold brothel where wine and silk flow like water... and where the clientele has a tendency to disappear.

>>Book 3 – The Slave City:
Arabian nights with mechanized elephants. In the centre of the city of Azyr is an arena with bloodstained sand, and over it all looms a gleaming white marble palace housing a mad tyrant...

If you're ready to escape into the wondrous and whacky world of The Viper and the Urchin series, scroll back up to grab the boxset now!

The Viper and the Urchin: Books 1-3: A Quirky Steampunk Fantasy series

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 - I'm so glad you were able to post this! I've been trying to for about an hour and I keep getting error messages. Anyway, not sure about this one. I hope someone reads them and talks about them!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The Free Friday selection for January 21 is 

No Escape From War by Cynthia Eden

20964EC0-897F-4C85-B208-4305DC6A610E.jpeg

Revenge. Oh, it was going to be sweet.

Warren "War" Channing finally has the chance to nail his beautiful, lying ex. And, no, he doesn't mean "nail" in the down and dirty sexual way...War means he has the opportunity to send the lovely and infuriating Rose Shadow to jail. Turned out, the woman who had shattered his heart beneath her high heeled shoes was wanted for murder. She was on the run, and he was just the man to hunt her down and toss her into the nearest cell...War could hardly wait.

He was the last man she expected to need.

The breakup had been ugly. Painful. It had ripped out her heart and left her in a sad, crying heap as she ate her ice cream, but Rose had moved the hell on, and she had sworn to never, ever need War again. Except, well, now she did need him and his sneaky skills because Rose was in trouble up to her eyes. The kind of trouble that could wreck a woman's life.

He'll make her pay.

Rose has cracked the story of a lifetime. She's uncovered a brutal serial killer who has been hiding in the shadows—only now, she is his next target. The cops think she's involved in the string of murders because maybe her DNA had been at a crime scene and maybe she'd been spotted by witnesses at another location, but Rose is a reporter—she'd been at the scenes because she was tracking down the real killer. Now, though, because War has caught her, Rose is out of time and options. War is former special ops. He's the best PI in town. And he's the man who gave her more pleasure than should be legal...Too bad that he's also the man who hates her the most.

Forty-eight hours...then jail.

They make a grudging deal—she'll pay him anything he wants if he just gives her forty-eight hours before he turns her over to the cops. During that forty-eight hours, he will help her track the real killer. When the clock runs down, she'll be out of his life for good. Except...a whole lot can change for two people in forty-eight hours. Hate can turn into desire. Need can rage out of control. And a love that you thought was long dead? It just might flash to life again.

Provided, of course, that the murderer hunting Rose doesn't manage to kill her before she and War can catch him. Forty-eight hours. The countdown starts now...

Honored Contributor

The Free Friday selection for January 28 is 

Black Spark by Al K. Line 

130C5FD8-A710-415D-8E14-64FE145DBAD1.jpeg

Full of magic, wizards, gangsters, vampires, imps, and some snappy dressing. All set in Wales. Yes, it's British Urban Fantasy! What's not to like?

I watched in horror as dark magic sprang from my hand faster than an imp after your socks. I didn't know my name, let alone that I had such power. The man was dead. I panicked. I ran.

How was I to know I was a dark magic enforcer, tasked with keeping magic hidden from the world? Yeah, total noob move, I know.

But my memory is returning, and the Hidden have given me twenty-four hours to make amends. Cover it up. Finish the job I was given, or else. Failure isn't an option. Well, it is, but I like me, and I like being alive.

The clock is ticking as I battle to make things right and exact revenge on those that took so much from me. Easier said than done as I deal with angry mages, bitey zombies, oversexed imps, creepy necromancers, and grumpy trolls—and those are just my friends!—all while trying to stop myself falling in love with my best friend, Kate, who just so happens to be a hot vampire.

I'm Faz Pound, a.k.a. Black Spark, Dark Magic Enforcer, and time is running out.

At least I have my looks. For now.