Valued Contributor

Need help re books ontape or audio books

[ Edited ]

Can you give me your feedback on which you prefer, where you got the device and where you get your tapes/cds.

thanks in advance for any input. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Need help re books ontape or audio books

I put audio books on my phone via the local library app.  I borrow for free against my library card.  Contact your library; I am sure they have the same capability.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

If you own any portable device like a laptop, iPad or other tablet, you can have audible books read to you without handling tapes or CDs with specific equipment for the media. Audible books are available with regular streaming or playback, holding your place ionna page or chapter wherever you leave off from a reading session . 

Read here:  http://www.audible.com  A monthly fee lets you pick your reading selection(s) and play /read  without loading media. I believe you get a free trial month. 

I stopped using taped book or CD book products a while back, so I can't recommend one in particular. I always borrowed all the spoken word material from my public library system and played back on a portable player before the convenience of audible.com came along (with versatile portable computers and tablets). I noticed recently my public library no longer offers the media versions. 

Sorry only to suggest an alternative and not answer you directly.

Valued Contributor

I would not have a device to play books on tape.  I used to use books on CDs.  

I have Audible, an app that I love and use.  Audible is powered by Amazon.  I enjoy it very much.  Worth checking it out.

Valued Contributor

@Margo Channing @gizmogal 

Good post with with more detail than mine, gizmogal.  Audible is very worth it to me.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, I appreciate your hel!p!

Honored Contributor

I have an Echo and Alexa will read my library books to me but her voice isn't the best.  

Honored Contributor

If the person using the tapes is legally blind, the states' commissions for the blind have special accommodations.  They're listed in the phone book under "state government". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I still put CD's in a player to listen to books.  My library has new ones all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been with audible for almost nine years and I love it!

Keepin' it real.