Valued Contributor

Re: Need book recomnendatiins, please!

I read a lot and belong to a book club at my local library. The books already recommended are excellent, plus anything by Kate Morton (lots of family sagas), and Kristin Hannah. For fun, we are reading The Last Bus to Wisdom; a coming of age story I wouldn't ordinarily pick but that's the fun of book clubs -- everyone gets to suggest books. The Goldfinch, too, is excellent, as is All the Light We Cannot See.

Happy reading!

Regular Contributor

How about trying a nonfiction book?  You say that you like historical novels.  A terrific nonfiction book that is a fascinating historical account is Killers of the Flower Moon:  The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.  It tells the true story of Osage native Americans in the mid 1930's/40's when they had a sudden influx of money.  It is written much like a story (rather than a dry analytical account of the events) so it may be something that would be similar to your fiction preferences.  The book received widespread praise.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic - I'm not a regular poster here - I wish I could read for pleasure more than I can right now. Anyway, over the summer I read White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht. It's about the Japanese occupation of Korea during World War II and two sisters who follow their mother as divers for abalone in the sea. Protecting her younger sister, the older one is captured and forced to become a "comfort woman" for Japanese soldiers. 

It was hard to read sometimes, but I learned a lot and I liked the ending. The book spans the WW II era to present day. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate your time and recommendations!   

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom

Thank you for the recommendation!  I have read about that time and place;  the poor Korean women suffered horribly.  I will get the book, White Chrysanthemum.  Their story should not be lost to the world. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@beach-mom

Thank you for the recommendation!  I have read about that time and place;  the poor Korean women suffered horribly.  I will get the book, White Chrysanthemum.  Their story should not be lost to the world. 

@this is my nic - So true! Usually in the summer I go for "lighter" novels, the typical beachy ones. I taught in Japan, and I always knew about the pearl divers, who were mostly women. That's why I picked up this book. It had so much more to it, and I was fascinated. The author wanted to get their story out, and I think, although it is fiction, she did a great job. I hope you enjoy it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

The Snow Child - Edwyn Ivey

What She Left Behind - Ellen Marie Wiseman

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Tell The Wolves I’m Home - Carol Rifka Brunt

A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

@Ladylaughsalot- wow I forgot Tell the Wolves I'm Home! That was one of my all-time-favorite books,  I recommend it to everyone (along with A Man Called Ove, of course!)

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

How wonderful!  Now I have a list of books to read!  Thanks everyone! 

Regular Contributor

The Other Einstein and Carnegie's Maid.  Two good historical fiction books by Marie Benedict.

Trusted Contributor

I'm TRYING to read a biography of Thomas Jefferson. It's slow going and I've never been able to warm up to him but I'd like to know history and his story so I'm plugging away.

Otherwise, I love true crime books; I really enjoyed Joe Kenda's "I Will Find You".