Honored Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Perfect Son by Lauren North, the first book I have read off hers, and I am glad that I have 2 more to read!  This was so so good, I had ideas Floating around about what was happening, but Boy was I wrong, the ending was EPIC!

Do you know there are two books with the same title? Both thrillers. Frieda McFadden books aren't available at my library (for some reason) and Lauren North doesn't have the book in large print, which lets me out. Don't do ebooks. Oh, well, it's a big library, lol@

@Judaline @CareBears Yes, I actually saw The Perfect Betrayal and The Perfect Son, are the same book by the same author. Very Strange!!! It is so good, I can't wait to finish it! Thats too bad about Freida McFadden books, and your library because they all are very good as

well...  

So is the perfect son book by Lauren North the same book as the perfect son book by F. McFadden? That would make 3 of them!

@Judaline No, The Perfect Son and The Perfect Betrayal are both by Lauren North and are the same book. The one by Freida Mc Fadden is different-I read that one as well. Very good book! Not sure why Lauren North did two titles for the same book!

My favorite author ( of days gone by!) Catherine Cookson, was an English author. I had a lot of her books about the time I visited London. Went in the bookstore and grabbed all of her soft cover books (pocket books they called them then) that I didn't own. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that I had read 3/4 of them only they had different titles! Perhaps Lauren North is English and maybe the publishers  in the US didn't like her titles so they changed them thinking they could sell more books. We'll never know.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Shutter by Ramona Emerson.  The main character is a photographer she takes pictures of crime scenes, horrific accident, her pictures help the detectives solve the crimes,  She grow up on a Navajo reservation with her grandmother,  At the first crime scene the book first brings up her special talent/curse, a woman is found under an overpass in several pieces scattered along the highway, when the victim comes up to her and asks for her help, saying she did not die the way they are claiming, and she needs her help to solve the crime.  She tries to ignore her, but the victim refuses to leave,  As she begins to look into the case, more spirits show up asking for her help.  The more she looks into this more strange things happen to her, making it appear that she is in danger,  Her sleuthing brings her closer and closer to solving the crime, putting her in more danger,  I did enjoy this book!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears  The book (Shutter) sounds fascinating.  I looked it up and it's an Amazon best book of 2022 and long listed for the National Book Award.  I just put it on waitlist.  Thanks for the great review!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Family Holiday by Shalina Boland, very good book!  The story focuses on two couples that do a house swap for a getaway from their stressful lives and to enjoy some peace and quiet.  But that is the last thing that happens, their dreamy vacation turns into a nightmare!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Atomic Habits by James Clear

Easy read, demonstrates how just making a very slight change can have a huge impact on the trajectory of your life. Great advice on how to break old habits and form new, productive ones based upon the premise of not focusing on goals, but instead to focus on who we want to become.

Example: Don't keep saying "I want to lose 30 pounds."

Instead focus on how you want to "become a more fit and healthy person."

Changing your identity and perception of who you are can be done by making tiny almost unnoticeable changes over time, rather than drastic, temporary changes that typically never last the test of time.

Lots of examples and stories from actual people's lives that will serve to motivate and help to improve ourselves.

Wonderful book! Even for those who don't like to read - nearly 88,000 5-star reviews on amazon. Was a New York Times Bestseller and has sold over 9 million copies!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Just finished one of the best books I've read in months: The Measure by Nikki Erlick. Great character development with an engaging story that I've thought about since reading it. Everyone on Earth receives a box. In the box is a string. Its  length corresponds to how long the person will live. The book is less about this aspect and more about relationships, so don't let the plot discourage you if you're not into a plot line like this. Very thought-provoking book with a great story!

@Ainhisg - I'm really glad that you enjoyed The Measure. Although I wasn't loving the characters, I thought the premise was interesting albeit unbelievable. I read the whole thing but definitely was not satisfied with the ending. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

I recently tried to listen to Susan Mallery's, Home Sweet Christmas.  I could not get past the narrator's voice and the way she read the book.   I also couldn't get into the story.  Maybe because of the narrator?  I don't know.  What I do know is I stopped listening.  

I'm not a big fan of books revolving around Christmas, but I do enjoy Mallery's books, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Now, I am listening to Catherine Bybee's, Be Your Everything: The DeAngelo's Book 2.  I enjoyed book 1 very much. Book 2 centers around Chloe and Dante. So far, I'm enjoying their story, as well. 

When I'm done with Bybee's book, next on my list is A Wish for Winter by Viola Shipman. 

I know I won't be back  here before Thanksgiving.  I wish you all a wonderful holiday. 

@dmod nj - It sounds to me like you're going to be very busy this week! I wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving, and I hope to see you soon xox Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just finished Unmissing by Minka Kent, very good book!  It start out with a knock on a door on a Sunday night, her husband is out of town, but decides to answer the door anyway,  Outside her front door stands a woman, with unwashed hair, filthy clothes, but what she says shocks the woman inside the house.  The stranger wants to speak to her husband, the only problem is the woman inside the home is  her husband, and his first wife was declared dead 10 years before, this where this chilling story takes off on a roller coaster ride, leaving the reader being unable to put the book down until the last page!

Frequent Contributor

I've looked over most of the suggestions for GOOD BOOKS LATELY......and chose 3 from my PUBLIC Library SYSTEM......I listen to audiobooks.  

THE MEASURE BY NIKKI ERLICK, I'm 110th in line (35copies)

LESSONS IN CHEMISTRY BY BONNIE GARMUS, I'm 343rd in line (109 copies)

DESERT STAR BY M. CONNELLY, I'm 89th in line (25 copies).

Hope it goes quick!  I may be listening to others in the meantime.  Thank you, Gerri S

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to WHITE HORSE by Erica T Wurth. Probably more of a ghost story than horror; I admit I wasn’t able to give it my full attention due to some personal things going on at this time. A little bit of the story took place at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado, and that was interesting.

I also finished THE TWIST OF A KNIFE by Anthony Horowitz, book 4 in the Hawthorne Investigates series, where the author puts himself in the middle of the action. I always enjoy these - definitely a more straightforward mystery in the Agatha Christie format.

Had a hard time selecting my next Audible. Downloaded GMA’s selection for the month (even though I don’t follow/watch them, they do have great book recs!), but that seems too sad and serious. Have decided to spend some time in a “Secluded Cabin” instead.