Valued Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

Laura Childs  A Dark and Stormy Tea

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw   Remarkably Bright Creatures is nominated for best fiction and best debut novel in the Goodreads Choice Awards.    I voted it for best debut novel.  I thought it had the best chance to win there.  It certainly deserves to win.

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@dmod nj , How did you like Matthew Perry's book? Was it interesting? 

Also, "Friends" was overrated IMO. I watched some episodes and wasn't impressed, so you didn't miss anything by not seeing it. 

@teganslaw - aside from the few times I sat in a hospital waiting room, I never watched a whole episode of Friends. Not my type of characters, and although there was a laugh track, nobody said anything funny to make me even want to laugh. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Ainhisg  thanks for the review on The Measure.  It sounds interesting.  I put the book on waitlist and they indicate I might get it in 6 months.  Yikes.

@smoky22 - I didn't care much for The Measure. I couldn't get into it, although I did read the whole thing. What a waste of time. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@sunala   Thanks for me giving your opinion on The Measure.  I think you're the third person here who didn't like it.  Sounds like a book to skip.  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Last week I finished The Magnificant Lives ofMarjorie Post (Allison Pataki)  I learned so much about the CW Post empire, launched at Battle Creek. Marjorie was a big factor in the company's triumphs throughout the year. 

Very surprised to learn that Marjorie built Mar-a-Lago and once wanted to give this estate to the US government to create a presidental retreat on the same lines as Camp David.

Lyndon Johnson turned down the offer, however. 

Thie week I started In the SHadow of a Queen (Heather B, Moore)

It is narrated by Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.  So far I am enjoy reading about the life of the royal family in Victorian times.

Just yesterday the blog on Royal Musings was about her going to her Hillwood Estate and Museum.  I looked her and her collection yesterday and what a fascinating life she had.  I did not know her daughter was the actress Dina Merrill who was married to Cliff Robertson.  I will have to get this book.  I love all of Allison's books.  Thanks @pateacher 

@beckyb1012  I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

So many interesting aspects of a life from  humble beginnings.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been reading Rennie Airth's series about (former) Detective John Madden (not the sports guy). I'm on book 5 of the six-series collection. If you enjoy British mysteries, you'll enjoy this series, which covers the years following WW1 to the post WW2 era. Airth is a South African but he knows his UK geography and culture.The writing is excellent and his books definitely have a page-turner quality. I'll be sorry when I finish the sixth and last installment. 

Honored Contributor

Finished The Perfect Son! By Lauren North and it was fantastic! I think its the best one by her so far that I have read. The ending was a WOW!!!!

I am now starting THE OTHER WIFE, by Claire McGowan...I also need to read The Other Wes Moore for my next book club meeting....

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Perfect Son by Lauren North, the first book I have read off hers, and I am glad that I have 2 more to read!  This was so so good, I had ideas Floating around about what was happening, but Boy was I wrong, the ending was EPIC!

Do you know there are two books with the same title? Both thrillers. Frieda McFadden books aren't available at my library (for some reason) and Lauren North doesn't have the book in large print, which lets me out. Don't do ebooks. Oh, well, it's a big library, lol@

@Judaline @CareBears Yes, I actually saw The Perfect Betrayal and The Perfect Son, are the same book by the same author. Very Strange!!! It is so good, I can't wait to finish it! Thats too bad about Freida McFadden books, and your library because they all are very good as

well...  

So is the perfect son book by Lauren North the same book as the perfect son book by F. McFadden? That would make 3 of them!

@Judaline No, The Perfect Son and The Perfect Betrayal are both by Lauren North and are the same book. The one by Freida Mc Fadden is different-I read that one as well. Very good book! Not sure why Lauren North did two titles for the same book!

Respected Contributor

Finished In His Father's Footsteps by Danielle Steel.  It was an emotional book for me.  One of her better books, historical too.