Respected Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

@SWEET wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

For anyone interested, the Goodreads Choice Awards opening round is now available for voting.

@smoky22 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it used to be more than one round and then the final?  Not last year but I think the year before.

@SWEET  yes this is the opening round and there is at least one other round (maybe two, not sure) and then the final.

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@smoky22 wrote:

For anyone interested, the Goodreads Choice Awards opening round is now available for voting.

@smoky22 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it used to be more than one round and then the final?  Not last year but I think the year before.

@SWEET  yes this is the opening round and there is at least one other round (maybe two, not sure) and then the final.

@smoky22 

There's only one round after the opening.  Then a few years ago there ware definitely more is what I'm trying to say.

Respected Contributor

@SWEET 

I didn't realize that.  I thought there were more rounds last year.  Thanks. 

Makes this first vote more meaningful, I guess.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 , will look for the Kate Atkinson book, thanks!

FairyTale was a disappointment to me as well.  Way too long and not as good as I have come to expect from Stephen King.  He is a master storyteller with wonderful character development but, IMO, this was not one of his better ones.  

I would love to find a 1000 page Stephen King for a winter read!  LM

Valued Contributor

Last week I finished The Magnificant Lives ofMarjorie Post (Allison Pataki)  I learned so much about the CW Post empire, launched at Battle Creek. Marjorie was a big factor in the company's triumphs throughout the year. 

Very surprised to learn that Marjorie built Mar-a-Lago and once wanted to give this estate to the US government to create a presidental retreat on the same lines as Camp David.

Lyndon Johnson turned down the offer, however. 

Thie week I started In the SHadow of a Queen (Heather B, Moore)

It is narrated by Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.  So far I am enjoy reading about the life of the royal family in Victorian times.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Honey Don't List by Christina Lauren, I enjoyed this book!  A couple are celebrities when it comes to designing small spaces in homes to make it perfect for families, and they are also authors of best selling books the latest one, about relationships and how to sustain them.  To the public it seems they have a perfect marriage, but behind closed doors it is anything but, but with a new show premiering and a new book soon to be released they have to keep their troubled marriage a secret or their brand will fall apart, their finances will be gone.  How long can they maintain this secret.

Honored Contributor

I recently tried to listen to Susan Mallery's, Home Sweet Christmas.  I could not get past the narrator's voice and the way she read the book.   I also couldn't get into the story.  Maybe because of the narrator?  I don't know.  What I do know is I stopped listening.  

I'm not a big fan of books revolving around Christmas, but I do enjoy Mallery's books, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Now, I am listening to Catherine Bybee's, Be Your Everything: The DeAngelo's Book 2.  I enjoyed book 1 very much. Book 2 centers around Chloe and Dante. So far, I'm enjoying their story, as well. 

When I'm done with Bybee's book, next on my list is A Wish for Winter by Viola Shipman. 

I know I won't be back  here before Thanksgiving.  I wish you all a wonderful holiday. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

Last week I finished The Magnificant Lives ofMarjorie Post (Allison Pataki)  I learned so much about the CW Post empire, launched at Battle Creek. Marjorie was a big factor in the company's triumphs throughout the year. 

Very surprised to learn that Marjorie built Mar-a-Lago and once wanted to give this estate to the US government to create a presidental retreat on the same lines as Camp David.

Lyndon Johnson turned down the offer, however. 

Thie week I started In the SHadow of a Queen (Heather B, Moore)

It is narrated by Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.  So far I am enjoy reading about the life of the royal family in Victorian times.

Just yesterday the blog on Royal Musings was about her going to her Hillwood Estate and Museum.  I looked her and her collection yesterday and what a fascinating life she had.  I did not know her daughter was the actress Dina Merrill who was married to Cliff Robertson.  I will have to get this book.  I love all of Allison's books.  Thanks @pateacher 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Dreamland, by Nicholas Sparks.  A young man who dreams of being a singer, songwriter, and musician as to put it aside to take care of his family.  Still he finds time do his music part time but his family is his life and he is to them as well.  Finding love with young woman who wants to be famous in her own right as a singer, can they make it work if she is living the life of a celebrity and his is back on the "farm."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I finished "Remarkably Bright Creatures" by Shelby Van Pelt. Excellent, 5 star book! 

Premise: Tova has a night job cleaning the aquarium at Sowell Bay, Washington. She becomes acquainted with a giant Pacific octopus named Marcellus, who is very intelligent. The story is told through the viewpoints of Marcellus, Tova and other characters. 

Tova's son, Erik, died 30 years in a drowning accident thought to be a suicide. Marcellus, ever curious, tries to help her find out what happened to Erik. Marcellus also helps Tova connect to others and establish friendships. 

This is the author's debut novel, and I hope she writes more. One of the best books I've read this year. Highly recommended. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain