Respected Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY

DNF two books today.  I seem to be in a slump in my choosing of books!  One was Charmaine Craig's My Nemesis.  Very complicated and confusing and it was too philosophical to me (Camus related). 

The other was Speak To The Winds by Ruth Moore.  It was originally published in the 1950s.  It looked interesting enough set in Maine but I wanted more communication and less descriptions of the island.

Onto my third book of the day and hopefully I'll find one that I can get into!

Honored Contributor

I decided to read THE OTHER DAUGHTER by Shalini Boland first, before The Trial of Alex Cross, I think I needed a little break from James Patterson's books....So starting that book today, and will read Patterson's book after.....

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg  thanks for the review on The Measure.  It sounds interesting.  I put the book on waitlist and they indicate I might get it in 6 months.  Yikes.

Valued Contributor

I just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus and I think it is one of the best books I have read this year.

Main character is Elizabeth Zott who is, in the early 60s, a scientist who has a very difficult time getting her male counterparts and others to take her and her work seriously.  She is belitted and assaulted, both verbally and sexually.  She meets a fellow scientist who does fall in love with her mind and they have a very intense relationship.  Several years later, as a single mom, she becomes the host of a cooking show at a local tv station which becomes a nationwide hit.  The cooking show is quite different from what we see because she teaches women scientific cooking but also how to take control of their lives and encourages them to become stronger and independent.

I love the characters and she has created some terrible ones as well as some that you wish were in your own life.

Humorous and well written.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10) by Linda Castillo.

I rated the book 4/5 on Goodreads. I really enjoy this series by Linda Castillo and the glimpses into the Amish life or at least the closest that I will ever see. 

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to MAD HONEY  by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan.  Overall, I liked the book, but it went on way too long.  The biggest spoiler isn't the who-dunnit, but something else that is readily brought up in other reviews for the book.  I found most of the discussion interesting, but, as mentioned, it was too long and repetitive.  After awhile, just wished they would move on! Worthwhile to read, but I do recommend spoiling yourself if you don't want to be surprised as it may not be something everyone would be interested in reading.

Will be spending some time in The Cloisters next.

Honored Contributor

Finished The Other Daughter, Shalini Boland...It was super quick read and very good!

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308  Please come back and review Fairy Tale.  LM

Respected Contributor

Just wasted 3 days of reading Lee Smith's The Last Girls.  Friendship books are my go to but this was was not the best.  The ending was just too weird and still can't figure it out.

Honored Contributor

The Mutual Friend, by Carter Bays.  Carter Bays is one of the Co-creator of How I Met Your Mother and this is his first novel.   A group of people living in New York some know each other or know of someone who knows someone close to them.  All are addicted to their phones, social media, and trying to find their place in this life.  From the young woman barely making ends meet and who wants to be a Dr.   To her brother who did a start up and became a billionaire almost overnight.  Plus throw in the 73 year old mayor of New York who thinks all women want pictures sent to their phones of well....... you know what.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."