Trusted Contributor

Re: NEED LIGHT SUMMER READING RECS

Dear Tinkrbl44,

Most of my summer books are light historical fiction (Philippa Gregory) some chick lit (Sophie Kinsela her shopaholic series and similar ones also from her super amusing) very creative  and intriguing Victorian mystery novels (Lady Julia Grey's series by Deanna Raybourn she has also another highly recommended series

Veronica Speedwell that I have not read yet. She writes very well, she is funny and very unpredictable. If you like medicine and forensics there is a very interesting series about a female dr from Salerno's medical school by Arianna Franklin her first novel is Mistress of the Art of Death. Enjoy 🌻and explore audible if you rather listen than read.

Honored Contributor

@sward05 wrote:

If you're looking for light, humorous mysteries, I would recommend the books by Dixie Cash .  Two sisters collaborate and have written ten books with titles such as My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Good,  Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash, and You Can Have My Heart, But Don't Touch My Dog.

The main characters are two beauticians who get involved in solving mysteries in their Texas town.

@sward05

I just finished the first Dixie Cash book .... (fun book!) ...  and have ordered several more in that series, plus Peachtree Road.   

Honored Contributor

The 'beach street' books are enjoyable. One title I can recall is Little Beach Street Bakery.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
The 'beach street' books are enjoyable. One title I can recall is Little Beach Street Bakery.

@AuntG

What type of books are these ....  mystery, romance, vampire ....  what?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG

What type of books are these ....  mystery, romance, vampire ....  what?

---------

If books had an "easy listening" catagory, that's where I'd place this series.  They make you feel good.  A woman fulfilling her dream after some setbacks.

Valued Contributor

Not sure how "light" this is, but I noticed it on recent bestseller's list & gave it a try..HILLBILLY ELEGY, by JD Vance. I had a terrible time getting into this, the first 100 pages or so is set very near where we live & so was interested, then kinda lost interest, until half way point! Will probably finish it tonight, but interesting read..opinions, anyone? I think it is still on best seller's list..

Trusted Contributor

I recently discovered three cozy mystery series which I am enjoying and highly recommend.  The first is Spencer Quinn's Bernie and Chet Mystery series, book 1 is Dog On It. Second is Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and the third is Anne George's Southern Sisters Mystery Series, book 1 is Murder On A Girls' Night Out.  I hope to read every book in these series! 

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

I recently discovered three cozy mystery series which I am enjoying and highly recommend.  The first is Spencer Quinn's Bernie and Chet Mystery series, book 1 is Dog On It. Second is Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and the third is Anne George's Southern Sisters Mystery Series, book 1 is Murder On A Girls' Night Out.  I hope to read every book in these series! 

@walkingal. Haven't read the other two, but I enjoyed The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. Very different and enjoyable.

Trusted Contributor

I love the Southern Sisters mysteries @walkingal! I am reading the last one in the series now, Murder Boogies With Elvis. I hate there are no more!

Valued Contributor

I am the same way. When I read gory, bloody books, I have to reach for something "light".

I suggest Lillian Jackson Braun. I call them "cat books". They are light mysteries. The author has passed away but all her books are on Amazon. Look her up, you won't be sorry. I absolutely love them.

I also suggest Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown. Again, light mysteries.

Also, Joanne Fluke. Another light mystery writer and her books have recipes in them too.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"