Honored Contributor

Re: NEED LIGHT SUMMER READING RECS

I buy all my books from Amazon and just about everyday I get an email with recommendations based on past purchaes.

Before Amazon ... I would browse the shelves of my favorite sections in Barnes & Noble.  Sometimes books would practically  "jump off the shelf" shouting "read me, read me!"

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I buy all my books from Amazon and just about everyday I get an email with recommendations based on past purchaes.

Before Amazon ... I would browse the shelves of my favorite sections in Barnes & Noble.  Sometimes books would practically  "jump off the shelf" shouting "read me, read me!"

@ALRATIBA

Keep in mind that you can purchase "slightly used" books on Ebay for a LOT cheaper than Barnes & Noble prices.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA

Keep in mind that you can purchase "slightly used" books on Ebay for a LOT cheaper than Barnes & Noble prices.   

@Tinkrbl44

I have two sources for used books (or things that aren't available on Kindle).   Once Amazon arrived on the scene .... no more Barnes & Noble for me.  98% of the books I buy these days are all Kindle versions.  I've just about run out of room for bookcases.

Trusted Contributor

Love Sophie Kinsella, she is witty and makes me laugh. Eloisa James is also very entertaining in audio lots of word sparring and neologisms regarding Regency fiction. 

The original Sherlock Holmes still amazes me. Lady Julia Grey's novels are also fun🌻

Respected Contributor

@CHIP62, I am friends with the author of the Julia Grey novels and let me tell you--Julia has many of her mannerisms!  I would recommend the Victoria Speedwell series by Deanna Rayborne too.  And her "non" Julia Grey novels are very good too.

Trusted Contributor

Dear Dr.Kelli,

Thank you very much for your recommendation I will go to Amazon and buy the Victoria Speedwell series.

I think that it is true that very often  our subscounscious mind shows up in our writtings and Lady Grey is adorable. You certainly are very fortunate to have such a good friend.

Mine write non-fiction and so do I (law and economics...).

This is why I admire their creativity so much I wish I were able to write something interesting, intriguing and fun.

I travel to Europe and Asia quite frequently. Audible is fantastic for long trips however I prefer to read not to listen to  Deanna Rayborne novels. There is another series that is also interesting Arianna Franklin's, I am sure that you know it already but just in case. Many regards🌻

Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1)
Respected Contributor

@CHIP62, thanks for the recommendation--I ordered the first book from Amazon and should have it Saturday.

Deanna has a couple of other stand alones--City of Jasmine and a Spear of Summer Grass and A night of a thousand stars.  I told her after I read Spear that it didn't sound like her at all (meaning the way Julia Grey did) and she told me that her husband said that the leading lady was her on a bender. LOL!!

Since you have read the Lady Grey series, I will tell you that her stand alones have a little surprise--I'll see if you can make the connection!

Trusted Contributor

Dear Dr. Kelli,

I read The Dead Travel Fast in two days. I could not help it once I saw the abstract had to buy it. Thank you so much and I will let you know about the other ones. Ah! Those husbands...fortunately mine is the absentminded scientist.

Many regards🌻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrKelli wrote:

Anything by Jill Connor Browne (the Sweet Potato Queen books) or Celia Rivensbank (I think that's her last name--she is also a Southern writer).  Both use profanity, so be warned about that.

I have really enjoyed Andy McDermott's series with Eddie and Nina.  It's pretty interesting--completely fiction, but I do like a good story.

@DrKelli  @CHIP62    @ALRATIBA    @AuntG    @Daisy Sunflower

Could I ask a favor of everyone posting in this thread?  

If you are recommending specific books or authors, would you PLEASE also include what type of books they are?    

Romance,  science fiction,  vampire,  historical, mystery .....  you get the idea.  

Just a title or an author's name doesn't help us all that much for a recommendation.

TIA !!     Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I feel most of J. Grisham is "light".