Respected Contributor

Re: NEED LIGHT SUMMER READING RECS

Robyn Carr is my escape to lighten things up.  Her Virgin River series is fabulous.  I recommend reading them in order as well.  Elaine Viets & her Dead-End Job mystery series is also the best ( also in order).  Since I am in Fla, this series is even more special.  

Honored Contributor

I read Peach Tree Road by Ann Siddons MANY years ago but could NOT put it down.  So that may not qualify!

I agree with Dorothea Benton Frank; Pat Conroy's Beach Music is great; Diane Mott Davidson's little mysteries are fun, and so are Laura Child's tea room mysteries--also Low Country books.

ALso you might check out The Kennedy Women or some of the books about that family.  Some are pretty interesting, as is Kick, which I read recently.  

I enjoy biographies a lot and think many of them would fit the bill for summer reading!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross.

All of Sophie Kinsella's books qualify!

Honored Contributor

I am finishing up The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen, and I see where she wrote several more books, this one is good, very light but holds your interest. I also needed a break from Thrillers....

Honored Contributor

Big fan too of Mary Alice Monroe for light reading but also really like Nancy Thayer and her beach reads based in Nantucket.  Does really good Christmas books as well for reading in "July."

https://nancythayer.com/

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I read Peach Tree Road by Ann Siddons MANY years ago but could NOT put it down.  So that may not qualify!

I agree with Dorothea Benton Frank; Pat Conroy's Beach Music is great; Diane Mott Davidson's little mysteries are fun, and so are Laura Child's tea room mysteries--also Low Country books.

ALso you might check out The Kennedy Women or some of the books about that family.  Some are pretty interesting, as is Kick, which I read recently.  

I enjoy biographies a lot and think many of them would fit the bill for summer reading!

Still pull out my old copy of Peach Tree Road every few years to read again and again it was such a good book, @Sooner

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

Anne Tyler's novels.  Lots of them and they are wonderful reading.

Trusted Contributor

If you happen to like horses and dogs, you might enjoy Rita Mae Brown's "Outfoxed" series.  The background is Virginia fox-hunting country -- and, no, the foxes aren't killed. In fact, the horses, foxhounds and foxes, and even owls socialize, but only the reader gets to hear them in English.  The characters are intelligent and witty, and I have enjoyed their company.  There's a light mystery involved in each.  Rita Mae Brown is Master of a foxhunting club in her non-writing life.

Another favorite for light reading is Rhys Bowen's "Her Royal Spyness" mysteries.  Set in the time of "That Woman" (Wallis Simpson) in England, the lead character is 35th in line to the throne.  Her royal relatives never quite seem to grasp the fact that she's penniless.  The stories and characters aren't similar to Evanovich's, but there's the same sense of lighthearted fun, just in a different era of manners and morals.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

If you happen to like horses and dogs, you might enjoy Rita Mae Brown's "Outfoxed" series.  The background is Virginia fox-hunting country -- and, no, the foxes aren't killed. In fact, the horses, foxhounds and foxes, and even owls socialize, but only the reader gets to hear them in English.  The characters are intelligent and witty, and I have enjoyed their company.  There's a light mystery involved in each.  Rita Mae Brown is Master of a foxhunting club in her non-writing life.

Another favorite for light reading is Rhys Bowen's "Her Royal Spyness" mysteries.  Set in the time of "That Woman" (Wallis Simpson) in England, the lead character is 35th in line to the throne.  Her royal relatives never quite seem to grasp the fact that she's penniless.  The stories and characters aren't similar to Evanovich's, but there's the same sense of lighthearted fun, just in a different era of manners and morals.

I love horses, I love those books!  I'll check out the Rhys Bowen books too!  LOVE that time period.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Are u looking only for fiction books?

@Goldengate8361

No, not necessarily ... thanks.