Highlighted
Respected Contributor

For the last several years, I've been a member of an assortment of book clubs. My favorite book discussion concerns topics.

Each month, every person reads a book featuring a certain topic. We share our responses, always including a brief bio of the author.

Last month we spoke of Christmas books (My favorite is Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory,"  which focuses on his early life with an aging relative of his. I adore this story, and the ending always catches me in tears).

Tomorrow we're going to speak of books we loved earlier in life (up to graduation from high school). We're going to reflect on our current feelings for the books. (I always loved Eleanor Estes' series on the Moffat family. I'm rereading the books now and--I'm so stunned--I love the books even more now.) 

I love hearing about books others have read. Sometimes I don't have that much interest in them, but other times I know I have to read those same books!

Through the years, we've talked about World War I and II books, books that are about very cold temperatures (for summer reading) or hot ones (for winter). Sometimes we all read various books written by a certain author. I enjoy the amazing variety.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 what an interesting way to organize a book club!    Love it

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 I love reading Capote's Christmas Story over and over.  I have the hard book cover for almost 20 years now.  Anytime a short story authored by Capote is offered is a wonderful thing. "Brealfast At Tiffany's " is a good start.  My hgh school book eduation consisted of books by F.Scott Fitzgerald.  I cried when I had read them all and had nothing else to read.  Also, I enjoyed reading anything by Tom Wolfe, i.e. "Bonfire of the Vanities."  Your book programm sounds wonderful.  I am thnking of starting one in the same vein.

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

For the last several years, I've been a member of an assortment of book clubs. My favorite book discussion concerns topics.

Each month, every person reads a book featuring a certain topic. We share our responses, always including a brief bio of the author.

Last month we spoke of Christmas books (My favorite is Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory,"  which focuses on his early life with an aging relative of his. I adore this story, and the ending always catches me in tears).

Tomorrow we're going to speak of books we loved earlier in life (up to graduation from high school). We're going to reflect on our current feelings for the books. (I always loved Eleanor Estes' series on the Moffat family. I'm rereading the books now and--I'm so stunned--I love the books even more now.) 

I love hearing about books others have read. Sometimes I don't have that much interest in them, but other times I know I have to read those same books!

Through the years, we've talked about World War I and II books, books that are about very cold temperatures (for summer reading) or hot ones (for winter). Sometimes we all read various books written by a certain author. I enjoy the amazing variety.

@insomniac2   Every year in the evening at Christmas Eve, the Classical Music FM radio station where I live, plays a recording of Truman Capote himself reading his book.  I agree with you,  ". . .the ending always catches me in tears."

Honored Contributor

Interesting way to organize a book club. I'd be very nervous participating (I would shake when I had to give book reports in school), but it would be fun listening to the others.