Honored Contributor

My New Kindle Oasis E-Reader--What I Like and Don't Like

[ Edited ]

I read about three hours total yesterday on my new Kindle Oasis reader and I can report that so far I am very happy with it.  I can't believe how light weight it is.

I was worried that the bigger and heavier side of it would bother me but it really doesn't.  I also worried that it was aluminum and be too cold and slick, which hasn't seemed to be a problem.

What I like so far:

The screen does seem more "paper like" than the previous readers I had (a Voyage a couple of years old being the newest one), and there aren't the cones of light and dark areas.

I can hold it comfortable with the buttons on the left or the right, or just tap it with my thumb to turn t the page.  To me that is a big plus.  I can use the buttons too-whatever is more convenient depending on how I am holding it.

It isn't "top heavy" the way the older models are, and is therefor to me more stable and easier to hold.

I don't think I will need a case or want one to read with it--maybe just something to put it in to travel with or put in my purse.  

I don't find its size a problem--I was a little surprised at how small it is.

What I don't like (not much so far):  Some things have a little more learning  curve I think.  It connects easily with Bluetooth but I still have a little learning to do there--like exactly when to connect it and the method.

You apparently can't read and listen at the same time, but you can switch back and forth.  It did pair easily with my headphones and speaker after I read how to do it.  But I don't know if I remember a day later!  LOL!!

All I am VERY happy with it, and wouldn't go back.

Does it match my IPOD mini?  No.  But it is lighter and for a lot of reading, more convenient.  But if I am reading something with lots of foreign names and want to listen and see the text, nothing comes close to my IPad mini--and for things with photos, it is the best too!  The screen on it is great and it is not as heavy as the big IPad.

If other issues pop up, I'll report back! 

Super Contributor

Re: My New Kindle Oasis E-Reader--What I Like and Don't Like

@Sooner, so happy that you like it.  I bought a cover (I cut off the front flap) and added a strap called Love Handle XL, it’s very easy to hold and feels very stable. I wasn’t thrilled with the smoothness of just the device. Enjoy. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner

I always buy a “skin” for mine from decalgirl.com. They have so many to choose from. It dresses it up a little & possibly helps with scratches on the aluminum. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

After a few days, the more I read with it, the more I like it!  I'm happy with the purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, I have a Sony ereader that is 8 years old.  They were among the first to produce an ereader.  It is aluminum which I love.  I stuck with it all this time because it was aluminum and not the cheap plastic Kobo produces.  Kobo bought out Sony.  Too bad as Sony made the better ereader.

Does your Kind,e read to you???  That might make me go for a new one.  I haven't tried talking books either.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner, I have a Sony ereader that is 8 years old.  They were among the first to produce an ereader.  It is aluminum which I love.  I stuck with it all this time because it was aluminum and not the cheap plastic Kobo produces.  Kobo bought out Sony.  Too bad as Sony made the better ereader.

Does your Kind,e read to you???  That might make me go for a new one.  I haven't tried talking books either.  LM

@Lilysmom  It will Bluetooth to speakers or headphones.  THere is no headphone jack.  So far I have read some Audible books on it and for me it worked fine.  But does it read outloud without speakers or headphones?  No.  I don't think so.  I use my IPhone, IPad, Bose little colored speakers or Beats headphones for that.  I love those little Bose speakers! 

These are aluminum so that is a plus.  Look for deals on Amazon.  I traded in some old Kindles and wound up getting a good price on this.  I like it a lot so far.  I do like the aluminum and so far haven't bought a cover.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, sounds good to me.  I have a Bose speaker and Bose on ear headphones as well as beats.  If I decide to take the plunge, I will look at this.  Thanks for posting.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner, sounds good to me.  I have a Bose speaker and Bose on ear headphones as well as beats.  If I decide to take the plunge, I will look at this.  Thanks for posting.  LM

@Lilysmom  If you do, cast around for a deal from Amazon!