Honored Contributor

Re: My Lovely Wife Discussion/SPOILERS

The wife didn't have a conscious, but he did.... 

Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers @CANDLEQUEEN @beckyb1012 

Yes, I agree with Ms. Krypto - Millicent must have been exceedingly strong to do all the lifting, torturing and disposing of the bodies!

I thought it was interesting that some women reading this book don't think women are capable of such crimes! (Lizzie Borden, Bonnie Parker, Susan Smith, Andrea Yates, Aileen Wuornos, etc.?) 

I looked up the Colleen Stan kidnapping, which was one of the main inspirations for this book. Colleen was 22 when she was abducted in 1977 by a young couple and she was held captive for seven years. During that time, she was raped, tortured, forced to live as a slave and kept in a box for up to 23 hours a day.

Incredibly the WOMAN who participated in the kidnapping testified against her co-kidnapper and she was granted full immunity from prosecution. 

The man who kidnapped Colleen is still in prison, having earned a 104-year sentence.

Grisly, horrifying story - the stuff of nightmares.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished it.  I really liked it.  Some things I caught on pretty quickly.  Some like Millicent's treatment of Holly was a revelation.  I thought how quickly it was resolved (how he was cleared by the police) was a little too contrived.  And I liked the character of Andy and Rory & Jenna.

And about him continuing it.  I'm not sure.  He clearly loved his kids. I don't think he would to start killing on his own, not with the kids around him.  He tooka great risk to keep them from their mother.  He could never get married again.  He would never totally trust a women.  Maybe this was a way to get dates with women without any romantic commitments.  He did cooperate with Millicent.  And he was never punished for assisting in disposal of a body, setting up the victims, etc.