Honored Contributor

This was at times, a difficult read, but worth it in the end.  It is the story of an intelligent, but naive 15 year old boarding school student and her manipulative teacher. It shows how he selected her, " groomed " her , and somehow made her believe it was all her decision.  It goes beyond the headlines in the " Me Too" era and shows how institutions will sacrifice the victims to save their reputations. Most important, the book shows how her experience affects the rest of her life.  The author is Kate Elizabeth Russell. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Topic is disturbing. I'd best not read it.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Topic is disturbing. I'd best not read it.

@AuntG , You know best what you can handle. I had this on my kindle awhile before I read it, because I was afraid it would be too disturbing, but I'm glad that I tried it, and I couldn't put it down.   

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I thought it was a great read. Triggering but really well done. I read in EW that there was a scandal surrounding the author and she since quit twitter but wasn't able to find any details. 

Esteemed Contributor

@IntoSkincare  Not sure if the link will stay, but looks like there was an allegation of stealing the idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2020/02/my-dark-vanessa-and-excavation-book-controv...

I have the Audible, but haven't listened to as I really don't go anywhere long enough to listen to books! And, I also haven't read the other true story in question.  But, honestly, the subject isn't necessarily "new"; heck, I'm sure there were After School Specials about it!

Super Contributor

Wow, quite. a rabbit hole. Thank you, @Alter Ego!

Honored Contributor

I have it in my wish list in my audible app. I'll go ahead and try it. Thanks