Valued Contributor

Margaret Atwood"s The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale will be aired on Hulu beginning April 26.

Our book club chose this as a selection a few years ago.

Definitely different, not to mention dystopian.

Super Contributor

Re: Margaret Atwood"s The Handmaid's Tale

This book and the original movie gave me the creeps....

Respected Contributor

@pateacher  I wouldn't say it's an enjoyable book, but it is well written and I'm glad I read it.  I don't get Hulu so you'll have to let us know what you think of this adaptation.  

Respected Contributor

I don't know why it had to be redone. The movie version was very good.

Valued Contributor

Just put that out there for information.

After I read the book, I had a hard enough time erasing some of the scenes from my head, nevermind what I might see on a screen.

After The Handmaid's TaleI read The Blind Assassin, which I very much enjoyed, though it, too, was a little disturbing.  Maybe I was in a better mood to accept it.  Who knows?

Honored Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

Just put that out there for information.

After I read the book, I had a hard enough time erasing some of the scenes from my head, nevermind what I might see on a screen.

After The Handmaid's TaleI read The Blind Assassin, which I very much enjoyed, though it, too, was a little disturbing.  Maybe I was in a better mood to accept it.  Who knows?

Nope.  THe Handmaid's Tale was a dark and disturbing book I thought.  You couldn't pay me to see the movie.   Now I've read a lot of dark books, but something about this one was just "soulless" to me. . . 

Super Contributor

I recently enjoyed listening to a 6-part podcast play

based on Atwood's book. I don't have hulu, but I plan

to watch the DVD when it becomes available ~ maybe

sooner if Amazon offers it to Prime members.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Super Contributor

Well, shoot...I just bought a copy of The Handmaid's Tale at Target a few weeks ago. I don't mind dark (to a point),  but dystopian is not my thing. Guess I should have researched it before I purchased! haha  I actually have The Blind Assassin, which I found at my library's book shop, so yay! Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bella-luna wrote:

Well, shoot...I just bought a copy of The Handmaid's Tale at Target a few weeks ago. I don't mind dark (to a point),  but dystopian is not my thing. Guess I should have researched it before I purchased! haha  I actually have The Blind Assassin, which I found at my library's book shop, so yay! Smiley Very Happy

@bella-luna

I am not normally into dystopian plots, but I did enjoy the podcast play based on the book.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Super Contributor

@mollybgood I love podcasts! I did a quick Google search and found Wondry's Secrets, Crimes & Audiotape podcast. Is that the one?  I just subscribed via my podcast app, PocketCasts.