Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAY 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I finished "The Light Pirate" by Lily Brooks-Dalton. It's  an apocalyptic book that takes place in the future in SE Florida. 

Wanda is born during a hurricane where he mother dies in childbirth. The coast of Florida is dissolving as nature takes over the land and claims what is hers. Wanda grows up among yearly hurricanes, fierce temperatures and a new kind of wilderness. She has to learn to live off the land and develops a certain communication with nature. It's like she becomes one with the elements. 

The descriptions of the land are beautifully written. I liked Wanda and way she dealt with her new life. Other characters in the book are well written. The only negative is that I found it depressing in parts. There is some violence, also. Overall, I liked the book. The premise isn't for everyone. But if one wants a futuristic, apocalyptic novel that has strong characters and great descriptions, then I would recommend it.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't posted for a while since none of my books have been outstanding enough to mention and nothing stands out.

I am now reading Camera Girl about Jackie Kennedy Onassis when she was in college.

I'm not much of a political or reader of first ladies bios/autobios but I won this one on GR and needed something different to read besides my usual.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been reading The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I love the historical setting (the beginning of William the Conqueror's reign).

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave.

Hannah and Owen are finding their way to make this new marriage work with his 16 year old daughter and all the usual teenage dramas.  The one thing they have for sure is Owen's unmistakable enduring love for both of them.  Hannah and Bailey find themselves unexpectedly abandoned one day out of the blue and secrets upon more secrets start coming known.  What Hannah hangs on to is a note delivered to her door from Owen at the beginning of their world falling apart  that says "protect her."  Thus begins trying to find out what happened to Owen, is he a part of the downfall of the company he works for and what exactly happened to Bailey's mother and her family when she was a toddler.

My local librarian told me last week that she loved this book so much that after reading the library copy she went out and purchased it for her own stash at home.  I did shed tears when I finished it this morning.

I really enjoyed this book. Fortunately, I will get to read it again as it is our book club's title for June.

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I was able to finish Pandora's Daughter by Iris Johansen. I rated the book 2/5 on Goodreads, which just means that I thought the book was ok. I really should have PTB several days ago.

This was my first book by this author, and my experience was meh. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Just finished NYPD Red 6 by James Patterson.  Not as good as the earlier ones IMO.  3.5/5 * for me.  LM

@Lilysmom1 

I felt the same after I had finished the sixth book in the series. I really hate a bunch of whining and I felt as if this book had degraded down to more of their personal lives, with a lot of angst, and a little bit of action.

I read NYPD Red 7 a few books back. This one was written only by the secondary author Marshal Karp, no James Patterson.

I really enjoyed it. 

@icezeus , good to know about NTPD 7.  I have it and was hesitant to go there about the mediocre 6.

Respected Contributor

I am about 100 pages into Homecoming.  Author Kate Morton.  Finally, a good storyteller.  LM

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Morton is one of my favorite authors. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@ijohnbaptiste wrote:

I've been reading The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I love the historical setting (the beginning of William the Conqueror's reign). And while I totally understand the controversy behind how a certain topic is presented in the book, I otherwise enjoy reading about Wulfgar's fierceness, strength and intensity. It's an interesting read.

I remember this!! Read it ages ago. I liked The Flame and the Flower more.

Trusted Contributor

My latest book is My Heart Will Find You by Jude Deveraux.  This is a new book, just published in April.  This is another time travel book by this author and in my opinion not one of her best.  The ending is good, but a lot of the rest of the story struck me as stupid.  It starts with the pandemic shut down and travels back to 1870's Kansas.  It has really good reviews on Amazon, so I might be crazy.  I thought her book The Summerhouse was one of the best romance/time travel books ever, but this one doesn't come close.  I'm glad I got it from the library instead of buying it.