Trusted Contributor

Re: MAY 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I haven't posted here in months.  I was not having much luck in finding books I wanted to finish.

I just finished reading Strangers in the Night by Heather Webb. It's a semi-fictional account of the relationship between Frank Sinatra & Ava Gardner.  I had heard bits & pieces about it, but never really had any interest.  Wow, they were really into each other!Woman Wink

I grew up listening to Sinatra (Italian family!) and I saw him at Carnegie Hall in the early 80's, but had no idea about their relationship.  

Page 1

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I haven't posted here in months.  I was not having much luck in finding books I wanted to finish.

I just finished reading Strangers in the Night by Heather Webb. It's a semi-fictional account of the relationship between Frank Sinatra & Ava Gardner.  I had heard bits & pieces about it, but never really had any interest.  Wow, they were really into each other!Woman Wink

I grew up listening to Sinatra (Italian family!) and I saw him at Carnegie Hall in the early 80's, but had no idea about their relationship.  

Page 1

So what happened? She left him, right? Was it her drinking? He was mad about her.

Esteemed Contributor

I finished "The Swans of Fifth Avenue" by Melanie Benjamin. It's the story about the socialites of New York City during the  1960's and 70's. The circle of high society known as "swans" features Babe Paley (wife of CBS founder Bill Paley), and her friends. Enter Truman Capote who becomes part of the circle, but ends up destroying lives through scandals. 

This book was very good. I was drawn into the world of money, fame and glamour. Yet beneath the surface, all was not as it seemed on the outside. Rating: 4 stars. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw , I enjoyed this book as well.  LM

Honored Contributor

Book: Still Life

Author: Louise Penny

⭐⭐⭐⭐ of 5 stars

After seeing the Inspector Gamache series mentioned in a few QVC threads, I finally got a copy of book 1. I love cozy mysteries and this fit the bill. Being that the copyright is 2005, I'm assuming there is no need to write in depth about this series. My reason for holding back one star is simply because of the French Canadian language - hopefully I'll get acclimated to their terms as I read more of the books in this series.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 @icezeus  I just finished The Investigator - Letty Davenport by Sanford. Guess I may take Dark Angel off my hold list. 

Some of my good reads this May have been 

The Abolitionist's Daughter - Diane McPhail

The King (non-fiction about King Charles) - Christopher Anderson 

The House on Prytania - Karen White

Honored Contributor

Georgie, All Along, by Kate Clayborn;   Georgie's life as a Hollywood PA ends due to her boss' retirement and relocation to a simpler life.  Georgie goes back home to help her BFF since grade school to prepare for motherhood.  Georgie still as yearnings for an old high school flame that really never was a flame outside her own young girl mind and heart.  Georgie does meet his much older brother on her return and looses all those old yearnings she had for the other brother.   

This is a meet/cute book that just did not do enough to go much further than they met and it was somewhat cute.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I've enjoyed all my recent May reads:

THE 23RD MIDNIGHT by James Patterson (latest in the Women's Murder Club series)

THE WEDDING PLANNER by Danielle Steel

THE GOLDEN SPOON  by Jessa Maxwell (If you are a fan of the Great British Baking Show, you'll enjoy this book.  It's a mystery set in a similar competition.)

I have been making my way through the "Slow Horses" series by Mick Herron.  The first book, called Slow Horses, was so-so, but after that, the books really picked up and each one gets better and better.  Lots of humor and clever dialogue.  There is also a tv series on Apple TV that covers the first two seasons and is very faithful to the books.

Honored Contributor

Just finished Follow You Home by Mark Edwards, it was really good!!!!!I was upset by something in the ending, but overall a very good, quick read!!  His books are so easy to get into and move along so smoothly.

I am now starting Here To Stay, by Mark Edwards!!!! It has very good ratings on Goodreads...I am sure in true Mark Edwards fashion it will be very good..... 

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  I really enjoyed Here to Stay. I remember telling everyone to read it when it first came out.