Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAY 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Neetgal2 wrote:

Smoky22

the author of Mrs. Poe is Lynn Cullen.

I liked the book.  Many poems I was taught in high school, the writer's were in "the book", so I liked it.  

@smoky22 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished reading "Not the Ones Dead" by Dana Stabenow.  I usually like her books but found this one good enough but less interesting.  I do find life in Alaska interesting

Also just read "Society of Shame" by Jane Roper.  I think this was her first book.  It was about a woman who came home to find her Senate candidate husband with another woman and a picture of her leads to social media frenzy.  It was interesting enough to keep my interest 

I am just starting David Baldacci's "Simply Lies".  I enjoy his books.

I just picked up my reserved copy of Kim Gravel's "Collecting Confidence" and I am looking forward to reading it.

I have on hold to pick up tomorrow at the Library

"Breakneck" by Marc Cameron,

"Death by Chocolate Marshmellow pie" by Sarah Graves

The 23rd Midnight by James Patterson

It is either feast or famine with my Reserves at the Library, either too many or none.  

Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to ROMANTIC COMEDY by Curtis Sittenfeld. I think this was more of a modern, “realistic” romance vs a sickeningly sweet Hallmark. Could veer towards talky (main character is a writer on an SNL-type show) and part of the book was told in back and forth texts. But I really did overall enjoy it.

This month is full of book club picks. Starting first with my Governerd pick (finally nonfiction!), but then all three of the main celeb book clubs (Reese, GMA and Jenna) all had interesting sounding selections, that I chose them all! Not sure when I’ll be able to listen to them all as I’ll be traveling for part of the month.

Trusted Contributor

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver
Wonderful book! Don’t be put off by the title! One of the best books I’ve read.
Respected Contributor

@newtoallthis , Demon Copperhead gets great reviews.  Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished The Kind Worth Saving (Peter Swanson), a sort of sequel to The Kind Worth Killing.  I actually liked this book better because there was a greater depth to the characters.  

I also read The Death of a Traitor, the latest Hamish Macbeth, now being written by R. W. Green for M.C Beaton.  I like the new writer.   I think he's put new energy into this series. 

Now I'm reading The Bandit Queens, by Parini Shroff, a surprisingly different read for me.  So far I'm enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

"Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club," by JRyan Stadal . It's a story of Midwest families and their restaurants in Minnesota. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Book: THE   MOURNING HOURS

Author: Paula Treick DeBboard

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ of 5 stars

My enjoyment came from how much this book mimicked my own life. Father a Wisconsin farmer, mother a part-time nurse, widowed grandpa next door....even the same age difference with the two older siblings. It's told from the viewpoint of the 4th grade little sister who has read every Nancy Drew book and isn't sure how to interpret what she observes. While it might sound like a YA novel, things become serious when the girlfriend of her older brother vanishes. The entire family is changed by that one horrific event. Ultimately, there is mystery to be solved, and the resolution was completely satisfactory to me.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading "A Trick Of The Light" by Louise Penny.  Think this is book 6 or is it 7, that I've read so far.  I love these!  Each time I finish one I think, "Oh that was my favorite" then I go to the next in the series and think "No, this is my favorite!"  LOL  So glad I started these.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG  I read this book a long  time ago, I guess when it first came out. I thought it was terrific.