Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

My latest books are:

"The Housemaid's Secret" by Frieda McFadden

"The Maid's Diary" by Loreth Anne White-She's relatively new to me but I enjoyed this book and "The Patient's Secret" a lot. 
"Because She Loves Me" by Mark Edwards

"A Murder of Magpies" by Mark Edwards

"A Kind Worth Saving" by Peter Swanson

I'm currently reading "It's One of Us" by J T Ellison. I don't see her name pop up often here but I've enjoyed most of her books I've downloaded.  

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse 

What is your opinion of the Freida McFadden title?  A friend of mine recommended a book with a different title by that author.  That would be a new author for me, so I'm interested in your thoughts.  I do enjoy psychological thrillers.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Homecoming by Kate Morton.  I was looking for a good storyteller and she did not disappoint in this book.  I found it a bit long but it was a good tale with unexpected reveals.  4/5* for me.  I recommend.  LM

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@GenXmuse 

What is your opinion of the Freida McFadden title?  A friend of mine recommended a book with a different title by that author.  That would be a new author for me, so I'm interested in your thoughts.  I do enjoy psychological thrillers.

I have read probably five of her books so far and I've never been disappointed.  I definitely recommend her if you like thriller/suspense novels.  My favorites are "The Maid" and "The Inmate" so far.  I hope that helps!

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse 

Thanks so much!  I'll look for one of her books soon.  Right now I am about 2/3 of the way through a 500 page novel with VERY small print (at least for my old eyes).  I have a couple of more days with this book. 

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@GenXmuse 

Thanks so much!  I'll look for one of her books soon.  Right now I am about 2/3 of the way through a 500 page novel with VERY small print (at least for my old eyes).  I have a couple of more days with this book. 

You're very welcome and let me know what you think when you get to it. Happy Reading!

Esteemed Contributor

I finished "The Guest List" by Lucy Foley. A high end wedding on an island off the coast of Ireland turns deadly. 

Julia and Will are the wedding couple: Julia is the publisher of an online magazine and Will is an upcoming TV star. The wedding is lavish; no expense has been spared. The book is told from different viewpoints of the guests and wedding planner. Despite the elegance, there is something sinister beneath the surface. Secrets come out during the reception. It seems that some are out for revenge about things that happened years ago. 

Several people didn't like this book, but I found it interesting. Many of the characters were unlikeable, with hardly any redeeming qualities, The book is like a guilty pleasure: the reader knows that nothing good will come of this and peoples' lives are a trainwreck. One has to keep reading to find out what will eventually happen. 

3.5 stars. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

My sister in law gave me this book and said it is so good! It is called Small Great things by Jodi Piccoult, well I started it even though I also started Deadly Cross, and I am on page 200-it is really good, grabs your attention right away...I don't think I have ever read anything else by Jodi Picoult, although I certainly have heard of her....

Any recommendations on any other of her books? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Community Board, by Tara Conklin;  Husband leaves her for another woman, so she goes home to Mom and Dad to wallow but they are in Arizona for an indefinite amount of time.  Angry at both situations she wallows alone in self pity for about three months eating all the canned goods in the house.  Finally ventures out after reading things on the community board that might help her shrinking wallet.  The book got better in the second half but that feeling sorry for yourself for months just about had me toss it aside.

The It Girl, by Ruth Ware;  A group of students come together during their time at Oxford.  One ends up dead and is the correct person sent to prison where they ultimately die?  Did the roommate of the deceased see what she thought she saw that night or only her dislike of the person who was convicted of the murder?  Not one of Ruth's better books.

Earth's The Right Place For Love, by Elizabeth Berg;  1947 and the world is changing and a small family is trying to make ends meet to survive.  Two brothers, the older brother smarter more handsome but bears the brunt of his father's wrath.  The younger brother wanting to be more in the eyes of one of the more popular girls at school and mostly wants to please his parents.  Elizabeth is such a wonderful writer.

@CANDLEQUEEN Jodi is really a hit and miss with me with her books so I usually do not go out of my way anymore to put holds on her newest releases.  If she as a new one out and I see it on the shelves I may or may not give it a go.  It worked very well with her book in 2021 Wish You Were Here.  It was so good.  "A young couple one is a Dr. during Covid and cannot get away at the last minute with Diana for their vacation.  Diana cannot come back from this so called vacation in Galápagos due to the Covid."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing your likes and dislikes for the month of May.

This thread is now closed.