Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2023 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@roeroe1005 , I was like that for awhile too.  Just could not get into several books.  I am doing better on the current one but still in a bit of a reading slump.  Need a real page turner to get me going again!  LM

Have you read If I Run by Terri Blackstock? Loved it. It has it all. (just don't mind the first couple pages) if you're queasy. I promise it's the last you'll read that's queasy.

THEN, if you love it, there are two and only two more books in the series. If I'm Found  and If I Live.  I didn't want them to end.

A girl is accused of murder (the queasy part, lol) and knows she hasn't a chance, so she goes on the run. She  has always watched the cop dramas and mysteries on tv so she's way ahead of anything the cops do to find her. A reporter befriends her-she's afraid at first-but it turns out he's on the level and wants to help. Very exciting, amusing book. Hope you give it and them a try. I think you'll know right away if you like them but you must read them in order.

Those were the best so was her Last Light series, a quartet.  I flew through all four of them.  Terri wrote them starting back in 2005 if you have not read them @Judaline 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@roeroe1005 , I was like that for awhile too.  Just could not get into several books.  I am doing better on the current one but still in a bit of a reading slump.  Need a real page turner to get me going again!  LM

Have you read If I Run by Terri Blackstock? Loved it. It has it all. (just don't mind the first couple pages) if you're queasy. I promise it's the last you'll read that's queasy.

THEN, if you love it, there are two and only two more books in the series. If I'm Found  and If I Live.  I didn't want them to end.

A girl is accused of murder (the queasy part, lol) and knows she hasn't a chance, so she goes on the run. She  has always watched the cop dramas and mysteries on tv so she's way ahead of anything the cops do to find her. A reporter befriends her-she's afraid at first-but it turns out he's on the level and wants to help. Very exciting, amusing book. Hope you give it and them a try. I think you'll know right away if you like them but you must read them in order.

Those were the best so was her Last Light series, a quartet.  I flew through all four of them.  Terri wrote them starting back in 2005 if you have not read them @Judaline 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Not my kind of book but thanks!

Honored Contributor

Just finished reading" In Her Shadow," by Mark Edwards, it was very very good!! I am loving his books......They are quick, easy reads that grab you right away.....This is my 3rd book by Mark and I plan to read them all....

I am now reading "Criss Cross" by James Patterson, so fa it is really good-grabs you right away like most of his books.....They are always such fast reads.....

Respected Contributor

I'm so busy reading that I forget to post sometimes.

The most recent book I finished was Byron Lane's Big Gay Wedding.  What a fun read.

Trusted Contributor

I just finished The Boys from Biloxi by John Grisham today.

I could hardly believe this was a Grisham book!

It was long and it felt more like a history book than a novel.

I'm kind of glad I finished it as it got better toward the end, but there were no characters to connect with-even the good guys.

I just felt sort of empty after reading it.

I hope his next one is better as he is normally one of those authors that you can count on to put out a good book.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

I have just wrapped up Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert,#1) by Melinda Leigh.  I rated it 4/5 on Good reads.

Bree starts off with a tragic start in her early life. She grows up to become a detective. Her younger sister is murdered and she comes back to the town that she grew up in to find out who killed her sister and left her niece and nephew orphaned. Throw in the good looking former K-9 Officer that has retired from the force, and his dog and you have a winner.

Yes, we have all read variations of this formula before, but I still found the book enjoyable, and a page turner. This is the first time that I have read a book by this author  and I plan on reading her other books. 

Honored Contributor

Not sure if any people on here are interested in decorating books, but I always comb the library for them.

Really liked. 1) "Jungalow" by Justina Blakeney.  She's a designer and artist, who also has a line at Target.  Her style is very colorful, bohemian, with tons of global influence, and the book's photographs are beautiful.

My style isn't "boho",  it's eclectic/traditional with midcentury and art deco accents (ha)--  yet, I just drool over these pictures.   There are lots of ideas adaptable to other genres, and all the color is exhilarating and fun.  Kudos to Justina Blakeney for forging such an interesting look.

2).    "Irving Berlin--  New York Genius".  by James Kaplan.

Have always adored brilliant songwriter Irving Berlin, his energy, his rags-to-riches story, his clever, heart-tugging songs.     From "Blue Skies"--   

".....Blue days/ All of them gone.  Nothing but blue skies/ All day long...."   A jazz classic.

For--  Fans of the never-to-be retrieved New York of old, for fans of Tin Pan Alley and the great American musical theater, for lovers of 20th century show biz...

3). "Extraordinary People of the Harlem Renaissance".  by P. Stephen Hardy and Sheila Jackson Hardy

Have always been interested in many individual members of the Harlem Renaissance--  singer Bessie Smith, composer Duke Ellington, dancer Bill Robinson, poet Countee Cullen, novelist Zora Neale Hurston, on and on.  But here they are, all under one roof!   Brief, but punchy summaries of their life and work.  And wonderful photographic portraits of each.

The Harlem Renaissance describes an explosion of literary, musical, artistic talent of African Americans between 1918 and the mid-Thirties.  Many gravitated to Harlem in New York, and made it a cultural mecca.

The musicians are so well-known, but the Renaissance also was characterized by fantastic writers like Hurston, poets Langston Hughes and Cullen, and scads of photographers, painters and sculptors...   There are tons of interesting lesser-known characters, especially among the visual artists, who are not household names, but still fascinating to know about...

For:  Probably, a lot of the same readers who'd like the Irving Berlin bio.  People interested in old New York, its glamorous night life, its hard working artists and writers, struggling against adversity to make their mark, etc.         

Honored Contributor

I recently listened to Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan. I enjoyed it very much......a little different kind of romance book.   I don't want to give anything away.   What I couldn't get past was the author's use of tummy  for a stomach....for example tummy ache instead of stomach ache.   I know, a small thing............but I kept thinking, what adult woman uses that word, unless you're talking to a child. Anyway...........    I was drawn into their romance but at the same time was thinking, this will never work.   I would recommend the book. Smiley Happy  You decide for yourself. lol 

I also listened to Marie Force's,  How Much I Feel.  Cute, adorable, light romance. 

Currently listening to Tell Me Everything, by Minka Kelly.   I never watched the tv shows she was on.  I only knew her as Derek Jeter's girl friend.  I saw her on a tv show promoting the book...........what a life she's lead.   So far, it's interesting and she's a good writer, imo. 

Thank you, @icezeus  for this month's thread. Smiley Happy 

@CareBears  and @sunala  thinking of you. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @icezeus  for this month's thread. Smiley Happy 

@CareBears  and @sunala  thinking of you. 

I was wondering where @CareBears is ???