Trusted Contributor

Re: MAY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Here are my most recent reads:

AUNT DIMITY AND THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE by Nancy Atherton - latest in this cozy series.  I think this was one of her best books.  A new, single older man moves into the village and all the snoopy ladies keep bringing him casseroles to find out all about him.  It was cute!

22 SECONDS by James Patterson - latest in the Women's Murder Club series.  I thought it was good, but not great.  Other books in the series have been better, IMO.

I read two books about the British royal family.  I thought both books were interesting:

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN by Angela Kelly, the Queen's longtime dresser.  Lots of beautiful photos of the Queen's outfits.

THE PALACE PAPERS by Tina Brown - gossipy, behind the scenes stories of the Royals.

Trusted Contributor

I know I am kind of late to the table having just read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. This was an excellent book although sometimes difficult to read. Whenever, I read books about the war I often wonder if I would have been brave enough to face some of the hardships experienced by people in the war torn countries. I guess when you have no choice you do what you need to do in order to survive. I am just grateful never having had to undergo that type of suffering. It really makes you thankful for all your blessings.

I also read The Woman Who Kept Everything by Jane Gilley. This was about an older woman who lived in a hoarding situation and what happened when she underwent change in her life. It was okay but they really seemed to simplify the issue and make it sound like it could be solved with a few therapy sessions. It was really about what can happen when we are willing to make changes in our lives.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu wrote:

I know I am kind of late to the table having just read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. This was an excellent book although sometimes difficult to read. Whenever, I read books about the war I often wonder if I would have been brave enough to face some of the hardships experienced by people in the war torn countries. I guess when you have no choice you do what you need to do in order to survive. I am just grateful never having had to undergo that type of suffering. It really makes you thankful for all your blessings.

I also read The Woman Who Kept Everything by Jane Gilley. This was about an older woman who lived in a hoarding situation and what happened when she underwent change in her life. It was okay but they really seemed to simplify the issue and make it sound like it could be solved with a few therapy sessions. It was really about what can happen when we are willing to make changes in our lives.

@abbalulu 

I thought I was the only one who didn't read The Nightingale.  I read it finally last month.  I loved it and it was difficult to read.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Beautiful, by Daniel Steele.   Only 100 pages in but this is most definitely one of her "typical" books.  Her last several have been much meatier in content and not fluff.  This one so far is good for a quick no thinking fast read.

High fashion beautiful runway model who as been the most sought after model for years finds her  life completely changed forever.

@beckyb1012 

I assume you mean Danielle Steel!

Incredible

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

The Good Left Undone, by Adriana Trigiani.  Like most of Adriana's book this is a book of a multi generational family through many decades prior to WWI to present day. 

The majority of the family still lives in Italy while one son relocated to New Jersey.  Stories of how their Great-Grandmother was not the woman they believed her to be being told by their Grandmother before it is too late to pass on the family history.  Turns out this Italian family has quite a bit of Scottish blood running through their veins.  

Adriana's books never fail to be enjoyable with the stories, the characters and of course the food.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I just returned from the library with The Flight Attendant!

Respected Contributor

I just finished a book I've had in my stash for a few years; I finally picked this one up to read it and I'm glad I did.

It is Grief Cottage by Gail Godwin.  It's a great story; it has good characters, some that I liked very much and was rooting for.  The setting is beautiful, there's a lot about human nature and the brain to think about.

It's just a really good read.

Honored Contributor

Finished Little Secrets, by Jennifer Hillier-it was excellent! Such a good, fast paced book, kept me guessing!

Now onto THE PUSH , by Ashley Audrain!!!

Respected Contributor

Finished Camille Pagan's Everything Must Go.  I hate to use this word and even dislike it but it was meh.  Even my  review on GR was boring.  I couldn't find anything to say. Of course people gave it 4 or 5 stars.  I was nice enough to give it 3. 

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The Good Left Undone, by Adriana Trigiani.  Like most of Adriana's book this is a book of a multi generational family through many decades prior to WWI to present day. 

The majority of the family still lives in Italy while one son relocated to New Jersey.  Stories of how their Great-Grandmother was not the woman they believed her to be being told by their Grandmother before it is too late to pass on the family history.  Turns out this Italian family has quite a bit of Scottish blood running through their veins.  

Adriana's books never fail to be enjoyable with the stories, the characters and of course the food.

@beckyb1012  I finished this book last night. I couldn't agree more. I have enjoyed all of her books. I even baked the cake recipe from Rococo; it was decadent and delicious!