Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@CareBears wrote:

Just finished The Ex-Husband by Karen Hamilton, very good book!  A husband & Wife work together to con the rich, until something terrible goes wrong!

@CareBears I have this book sitting in my TBR pile. It sounds really good...

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Couple Upstairs by Shalini  Boland, this was another good book!  The Couple upstairs seem off, but not until the real reason why their OFF behaviour is revealed does it really make sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

" . . . Johnny Carson is by turns shocking, poignant, and uproarious — written with a novelist’s eye for detail, a screenwriter’s ear for dialogue, and a knack for comic timing that Carson himself would relish." This book was written by Carson's attorney, Henry Bushkin.  For 18-years, Bushkin was Johnny Carson’s personal legal adviser, fixer, confidant, and close friend.  Bushkin was there through the Tonight Show's last years in New York, and its huge run of success in Burbank throughout the 70s and 80s.  This is not a biography, it is the backstory that Bushkin experienced together with, and in the service of, Johnny Carson during those successful years. 

Johnny Carson was one of a kind, and is missed. This book brings a bit of him back.

“A fascinating book about a complex man.” — Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Valued Contributor

I am reading The Diamond Eye (Kate Quinn) about a Russian woman sniper in World War II. The plot goes back and forth betwen her wartime exploits and an event held by the Roosevelt administration to honor her achievementws during the war.

I have read several Kate Quinn books, and this one is among the best.

Honored Contributor

Well, looking for sites for Large Print books I found an interesting one. New books (I'm looking at their June offerings) and great summaries. I'm thinking if you see something you like it probably would be available somewhere in regular print. Maybe the library. Anyway, for what it's worth: gale.com/thorndike

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So far in May I've read:

The Waiting Room by J.S. Peck

He Lost It In The Catskills - Gerold Goldstein (nf)

Campaign Widows - Aimee Agresti

The Extraordinary Lives of Mrs. Kip - Sara Brunsvold

Shoulder Season - Christina Clancy

Death In Sandpiper Bay - Traci Hall

Most were 3 star reads but Christina Clancy's was the standout for me. 

I've been reading a book every one or two days it seems lately.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Beautiful, by Daniel Steele.   Only 100 pages in but this is most definitely one of her "typical" books.  Her last several have been much meatier in content and not fluff.  This one so far is good for a quick no thinking fast read.

High fashion beautiful runway model who as been the most sought after model for years finds her  life completely changed forever.

@beckyb1012 

I assume you mean Danielle Steel!

Esteemed Contributor

Last night I finished The Inside Ring by Michael Lawson. I ran across the tittle of another book and I always check to see if books are part of series which in this instance it was. Therefore, I needed to start with the first book The Inside Ring. 

The book started out great. The right amount of action and pace. However, I hate people doing stupid things in books, especially if you repeatedly do them. The hero in this book is such a person. It became downright annoying.

I will give the author the benefit of the doubt since this was his first book and will continue with the series.

Esteemed Contributor

I started "Silent Voices" by Ann Cleeves, a Vera Stanhope novel. I like Vera, and this is another good one. 

I also like Cleeves' other detectives, Jimmy Perez and Matthew Venn, as well as some supporting characters. I was never fond of Perez's fiancee Fran,  though. I'm not sure the exact reason, just that they didn't seem to be a good match. Fran was written out of the books later, so I'm not sure why the author had included her in the first place. 

Other than that, I like Ann Cleeves' writing.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Take Me Home For Christmas by Brenda Novak this is not your usual Christmas book, but it was good!  A woman and her daughter are on their yacht when it is reported their husband/father has disappeard, after several days with no news the mother and daughter return home, only to have the FBI show up with Search Warrants and news that her husband is being investigated of many charges one being that he stole money from friends, neighbors and even his own parents.  This is where the story gets juicy, leading back to the question "Does anyone really know anyone?